Manual swap ! Went through another tranny!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Problem2420

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys sense my house it cracked all the way around and this was a new transmission. I was wondering if I should just go with another 700r4 or do a 5 speed from 82-92 camaros? Or maybe a nv, or a t56 any help guys which should be the easiest.and cheapest.although I knw it is going to cost some money. I am really thinking about it this time.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you 2wd or 4?

if you're 2wd, I'd do a T56 its a relatively easy swap from a 4L60e/700r4, and since the T56 has been out for a while, the swap isn't nearly as expensive as it once was. here is my most recent writeup on it if you'd like to see what it will take to swap it in:
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/t56.html
I've been running mine for close to a year and a half and love it.

if you're 4wd, I'd probably go with an NV

davbell22602

1997 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Reaction score
First off you need the manual trany ecm/computer. Otherwise the computer wont read the manual trany. Second if its 2wd I'd go with the SM465 transmission.

Problem2420

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys the t56 seem like it would be Te best bet. But would a t5 from an fbody work too? I was just thinking to keep it in the Same era, but with performance. I heard that Te nv transmissions had a granny low gear which is almost useless in a 2wd.

davbell22602

1997 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Reaction score
Thanks guys the t56 seem like it would be Te best bet. But would a t5 from an fbody work too? I was just thinking to keep it in the Same era, but with performance. I heard that Te nv transmissions had a granny low gear which is almost useless in a 2wd.

Ok, You still need the manual transmission computer to go with it or have your reprogrammed. You'll run into problems if you dont.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you could use a T5 from a camaro or something, but they're not known for strength compared to others out there, and in a full size truck that's really what you'll want to get. the T56 is a stout trans in stock form, and can be pretty easily upgraded, you could even make it handle upwards of 800-1000hp if you wanted to do some more severe mods to it.