Manual Swap w/ Speedometer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DylChrFla

Reaction score
I've got a 1991 C1500 reg cab truck that I am currently doing body/paint for, I was thinking about refreshing the drivetrain while I already was working on it. It's got 200,000 miles on the original 305 motor and 700r4 transmission, so I won't feel too guilty about taking it apart. I want to build a mild 350 in the ballpark of 370ish hp and was looking into manual swapping my truck. I'd love to keep an overdrive gear as I take it on the highway frequently and it currently has a 3.42 rear end ratio. What transmission could I use and still retain my factory ribbon speedo and vss? I want to keep the truck clean and use the factory parts as much as possible.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've your driving style is easy on the transmission, the cheapest and easiest route is an NV3500, and allow you to keep your speedo. If you're rough on transmissions, more expensive and hard to find is an NV4500. I don't know if your VSS is plug and play with it. If you want a performance transmission and have money to burn, you can't go wrong with a T56, but again, I don't know if it's plug and play.

DylChrFla

Reaction score
I've your driving style is easy on the transmission, the cheapest and easiest route is an NV3500, and allow you to keep your speedo. If you're rough on transmissions, more expensive and hard to find is an NV4500. I don't know if your VSS is plug and play with it. If you want a performance transmission and have money to burn, you can't go wrong with a T56, but again, I don't know if it's plug and play.
Well I was rummaging around at the local salvage yard today and found a dirt cheap 454, so I might need the nv4500 to handle the torque.