MAF sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Laydout98

Reaction score
Ok my truck is a 98 4.3 with 123k miles my truck stated cutting out sometimes while driveing it. I had a guy I work with put a computer on it and it threw a code saying engine misfire. He said it was either the MAP sensor or the MAF sensor I replaced the MAP sensor and it helped a little it didnt do it as bad. My buddy had a 02 LS1 MAF sensor and it looked exactly the same I put it on and it plugged right in and drove it for about 15 down the highway and it runs perfect no cutting out or anything. My question is would there be a problem with running this senor and do you think it is actually the MAF sensor thats wrong with it?

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the MAP (or Manifold Absolute pressure) sensor measures the pressure/vacuum of the intake manifold, I don't have a pic but it is located on the intake manifold itself, IIRC in the area right behind the TB. the MAF (or Mass Air Flow) sensor is a part of the intake air tubing, its typically up closer to the air filter in the tubing, it just looks like part of the tubing with either a 3 or 5 wire connector on it (your '97 will have a 3 wire connector), and if you take it off you'll see a screen in there, and a small sensor in the airflow path. hope that helps.

jshawag12

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the info....what do these things cost? and are they pretty easy to replace?

daddy_dandy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
MAFs can be rather expensive. MAF codes can sometimes be solved by cleaning the MAF. Get some electrical connector cleaner like CRC and spray the sensor. Be careful not to touch the sensor with your hands. Also, on a stock setup a stock MAF will be fine. No need to spend $300+ on a larger aftermarket one.

Replacement costs for a MAP sensor is probably fairly reasonable.

jshawag12

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
so if i havent had a code for it there is probably nothing wrong with it?

daddy_dandy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably not. I'd clean it anyways just for grins. Like anything else it needs to be maintained.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A light cleaning with some CRC should be all it needs.
If it's not broke you can't fix it.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Sometimes a dirty MAF won't throw a code but will make the truck run like crap. Try the CRC and see if it fixes the problem. Make sure you don't spray too close to the wire, they are delicate.