LS swap power steering question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shaun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i've got a 90 rcsb thats receiving a 5.3 with all the accessories, except the ac compressor which i used holleys adapter mount for the stock compressor. my question is, i see a lot of threads saying the power steering bolted right up. What on the power steering bolted up? The stock truck hoses with the new PS pump? or the old PS pump on the new motor? or the new pump with the new hoses into the steering gear bolts right up? I cant find anything specific on this, and i'm really hoping to get this thing on the road by the end of the weekend. Thanks in advance!

Shaun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I should have added, the reason i'm asking, is because the 5.3 came with the PS pump, but no hoses. Only the hard lines off the pump. and I sold the 350 i yanked out already, with the hoses still attached to the PS pump. so i need to know which hoses i need to wrangle up to get this thing working. thanks again!

craig98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im doing the same swap in my 96 right now. From what can see and read. The ls pump and lines work with trucks steering box.

Boomer MN

Reaction score
I just did this swap in my 96 Silverado, 2wd, RCLB. I used my 96 pump and the original lines. But, replaced with new ones. There are new metric bolts required and a bracket that bolts to the side of the LS block.

Boomer MN

Reaction score
My Chevy dealer has been very helpful. The parts guy wants to do a LS swap in a Camaro. So, maybe that is why. So he pulled a picture from his parts detail for a 2001 Silverado.
The bracket is a small one that goes between the back of the pump and the block. I think I still have the part number. I will try and dig it up. I do not have a picture as it is buried behind the pump.

Shaun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im doing the same swap in my 96 right now. From what can see and read. The ls pump and lines work with trucks steering box.

update: I ended up going to the junkyard and snagging the return hard line at the steering gear box from an obs truck, and the hard line and hose i bought new from advance for the feed line on the 2003 LS pump. the new LS pump/lines bolt directly to the 1990 gear box. works like a charm.