LS SWAP IN CALIFORNIA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tomahawk 309

Reaction score
Jeez...$20 in GA to register anything non commercial and no smog except maybe Atlanta but Idk for sure.

VAMTuning

Reaction score
Yes, it's possible but it's not easy. You really want full access to your donor vehicle to be able to pull parts off until the swap is done and through the CARB referee. You need to call the carb info line and schedule an appointment with a ref, you can also request a call back and one will call you first to discuss your plan and hopes of passing.

Decide what transmission you want to use, current, 4L60 or 6l80 or 8l90 and that will determine what year donor vehicle you go after. I used a 5.3 and 6l90 in my swap...but it identifies as a 6l80. Any 1999-2013 LS style truck motor will fit but you won't be able to pass using a 2500 truck motor. I don't think you will be able to use a car motor either, I tried several car manifolds and they hit the frame. Stock truck manifolds clear fine though as well as the stock cats and Y pipe. I did have to make a large kink in my column shift linkage to go over the cat but it works fine.

You will need to keep all emission equipment from your donor: egr if it was installed, EVAP purge, EVAP vent, tank pressure and fuel level all have to go to the ECM for the computer to run emission monitors. I am in the process of converting a stock tank now to pass resistance the computer can use. Later model truck tanks may fit but then you have to use the FPCM controlled pump and returnless fuel system which is more wiring and complexity. I prefer the Corvette regulator and returning fuel to the tank and replacing the pump with a higher pressure pump.

Exhaust can be almost anything once it is past the cats, 2 or 3 depending on the donor. You can NOT alter the position of the cats or the oxygen sensors, something like 1" of the stock position if I remember.

Air intakes also need to be stock, but here there are CARB exempted aftermarket replacements so you can run a cone filter. I flipped mine over so the filter is on the driver side, later trucks reverse the filter and battery from the GMT400 position.

Wiring...hope you enjoy circuit diagrams! I modify LS harnesses as a side job and it was still a pain in the butt to integrate with the 400 wiring. Easiest would be to buy a stand alone wiring harness and specify that you want to keep ALL emissions wiring. I added the stock C1500 water temp and oil pressure sensors to my LC9 and harness so those gauges work like normal. My 6l90 does not have an analog VSS output so my speedometer does not function, but I think Dakota Digital has an adapter box to convert CANBUS to VSS.

I have not gotten to the point where I'm ready to schedule a ref visit so I can't say exactly what works to pass, but if you get it running with stock cats and your OBD2 scan tool shows all emission monitors set then I think you have a good shot! That said I'm selling mine because I'm moving to Ohio...where it would be legal but I don't have room to park it...bummer. The downside to the LS swap is that now the rear end is in jeopardy and it really needs a posi!

Hope this has been helpful and feel free to PM with specific install questions.

K5BlazerGuy

Reaction score
I have a 93 C1500. Has any one done an LS swap in CA, if so what are the requirements to pass emissions? Also what is the best LS to swap in?
If you know the right person who has experience with both the swap and the right smog guy it’s very doable

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought this might help.[emoji1787]
Sorry I couldn't resist.
You must be registered for see images attach

Talking about GMT400s using Tapatalk

Bondovw

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In California you can't go smaller than the original engine so 5.3 swap will not be legal if you currently have a 5.7 . You also can't swap a car engine into a truck. Its just not worth it in California to do a swap. Its possible but California will fight you on everything.

Garage Hack

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, it's possible but it's not easy. You really want full access to your donor vehicle to be able to pull parts off until the swap is done and through the CARB referee. You need to call the carb info line and schedule an appointment with a ref, you can also request a call back and one will call you first to discuss your plan and hopes of passing.

Decide what transmission you want to use, current, 4L60 or 6l80 or 8l90 and that will determine what year donor vehicle you go after. I used a 5.3 and 6l90 in my swap...but it identifies as a 6l80. Any 1999-2013 LS style truck motor will fit but you won't be able to pass using a 2500 truck motor. I don't think you will be able to use a car motor either, I tried several car manifolds and they hit the frame. Stock truck manifolds clear fine though as well as the stock cats and Y pipe. I did have to make a large kink in my column shift linkage to go over the cat but it works fine.

You will need to keep all emission equipment from your donor: egr if it was installed, EVAP purge, EVAP vent, tank pressure and fuel level all have to go to the ECM for the computer to run emission monitors. I am in the process of converting a stock tank now to pass resistance the computer can use. Later model truck tanks may fit but then you have to use the FPCM controlled pump and returnless fuel system which is more wiring and complexity. I prefer the Corvette regulator and returning fuel to the tank and replacing the pump with a higher pressure pump.

Exhaust can be almost anything once it is past the cats, 2 or 3 depending on the donor. You can NOT alter the position of the cats or the oxygen sensors, something like 1" of the stock position if I remember.

Air intakes also need to be stock, but here there are CARB exempted aftermarket replacements so you can run a cone filter. I flipped mine over so the filter is on the driver side, later trucks reverse the filter and battery from the GMT400 position.

Wiring...hope you enjoy circuit diagrams! I modify LS harnesses as a side job and it was still a pain in the butt to integrate with the 400 wiring. Easiest would be to buy a stand alone wiring harness and specify that you want to keep ALL emissions wiring. I added the stock C1500 water temp and oil pressure sensors to my LC9 and harness so those gauges work like normal. My 6l90 does not have an analog VSS output so my speedometer does not function, but I think Dakota Digital has an adapter box to convert CANBUS to VSS.

I have not gotten to the point where I'm ready to schedule a ref visit so I can't say exactly what works to pass, but if you get it running with stock cats and your OBD2 scan tool shows all emission monitors set then I think you have a good shot! That said I'm selling mine because I'm moving to Ohio...where it would be legal but I don't have room to park it...bummer. The downside to the LS swap is that now the rear end is in jeopardy and it really needs a posi!

Hope this has been helpful and feel free to PM with specific install questions.

Great post and info. Please let us know if you make it to the referee and how it goes. Photos of your install would be great.

Do you know of a company that sells the wiring harnesses with the emissions wires?

Garage Hack

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you know the right person who has experience with both the swap and the right smog guy it’s very doable

That is the problem. I have found one place that will do an E-rod install but no one that will do a air filter to cat drivetrain swap from a newer donor vehicle.

VAMTuning

Reaction score
That is the problem. I have found one place that will do an E-rod install but no one that will do a air filter to cat drivetrain swap from a newer donor vehicle.
I doubt you'll find any big shops willing to do that. Too much risk that the used parts don't work and leads to comebacks or blowing the customers budget expectations. An e-rod package has a warranty.

VAMTuning

Reaction score
Great post and info. Please let us know if you make it to the referee and how it goes. Photos of your install would be great.

Do you know of a company that sells the wiring harnesses with the emissions wires?

Speartech does. They are expensive but I would recommend getting everything from them and it will just work! Especially with Gen 4 or 5 motors where engine trans and pedal computer comparability is critical.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
E-Rod won't work in Cali unfortunately. Not unless your driving a car. I wanted to go that route with mine but from what I've read those motors cross reference with a car gvwr instead of a truck. I never contacted a referre so I can't say 100% they would flag it but we do live a a state tht makes me swap shocks out on a utility vehicle because they were Non CA Approved adjustable shocks vs the non adjustable ca Approved ones. :banghead: