LS SWAP IN CALIFORNIA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have been researching this for years for various swaps all the back since the infancy of CA smog legal swaps from companies that pioneered this like Jags that Run. Note I said smog legal swaps not just engine swaps which are obviously as old as cars.

Couple important points here, the swap not only has to be from the same year or newer vehicle but it also has to be the same type for example passenger car to passenger car or light duty truck to light duty truck etc. Also, since these drivetrains and systems are certified as complete assemblies that would be from the air box to the cats which obviously creates problems trying to fit a modern 1500 or Tahoe LS airbox assembly into an OBS engine bay. Not saying it can't be done but I've yet to see one. You then have to get your install certified by a smog referee. The other option is the E-rod which someone posted. The cheapest I have seen an LS3 e-rod is $9,100. The LT1 and LT4 are obviously much more.

I know of someone who owned a shop that was doing the "gray area" smog checks that everyone seems to think is the way to go. Carb has investigators that do spot checks and if they find a violator they will often flip the shop and then all the customers who think they're being slick. The test should be whether the tailpipe is clean but that's not the way they view it.

And for those of you in other states who think California and these other places with restrictive laws are their problem guess what, you are all soon to be next via the EPA and the Feds. If you follow SEMA and their action network the regulatory agencies believe they can prohibit you from converting your own personally owned car into a race vehicle. That is just the beginning of what they have planned for gas engines.

You really think they're gonna keep beating that horse now that the greenies are ramming electric everything down everyone's throats?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the swap not only has to be from the same year or newer vehicle but it also has to be the same type for example passenger car to passenger car or light duty truck to light duty truck etc. Also, since these drivetrains and systems are certified as complete assemblies that would be from the air box to the cats which obviously creates problems trying to fit a modern 1500 or Tahoe LS airbox assembly into an OBS engine bay.
That's what I tried to say...but I'm just Captain Obvious.

You really think they're gonna keep beating that horse now that the greenies are ramming electric everything down everyone's throats?
When does Government give-up power willingly? They'll piiss 'n' moan about emissions until the last internal combustion engine gets scrapped. (i.e., they'll regulate them FOREVER.)

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And for those of you in other states who think California and these other places with restrictive laws are their problem guess what, you are all soon to be next via the EPA and the Feds. If you follow SEMA and their action network the regulatory agencies believe they can prohibit you from converting your own personally owned car into a race vehicle. That is just the beginning of what they have planned for gas engines.
My race team captain is a lawyer and wrote a well distributed piece on the EPA's proposed rule changes a couple years ago that SEMA fortunately intercepted. While I agree that the EPA's rule changes would have prohibited converting cars to race cars, I think their real target was people buying "off-road use only" parts for street driven cars. If it were just a handful of people trying to cheat, it wouldn't be a problem, but it's become too prevalent. Every one of us knows somebody who put "off-road use only" parts on their vehicle with a wink and a nudge. You can argue that we hot rodders don't contribute much to pollution, but it's the image of lawlessness that is becoming pervasive. Government still has a responsibility to govern. If we flagrantly violate the law and get away with it, the real polluters can point to us and whine that the EPA is unfairly targeting them.

The best way to stop the EPA is to throw them a bone and try to meet the law. Be responsible and throw some cats on your exhaust. Don't aim to find a cheaty shop. Pay attention to their rule proposals, and if it's going to seriously impact you, email your Senator with a letter explaining how you feel the rule change is misguided and propose a better change. We can whine and ***** all day, but if you aren't offering solutions, they'll do what they want anyways.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That's what I tried to say...but I'm just Captain Obvious.

When does Government give-up power willingly? They'll piiss 'n' moan about emissions until the last internal combustion engine gets scrapped. (i.e., they'll regulate them FOREVER.)

I figure they'll take the easy way out and drive the price of gas through the roof to monetarily disincentivize the use of the ICE.

LA2SD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
At some point, no matter what we do, gas powered vehicles are going to be made obsolete by new laws and regs. My registration fees increase every year in CA. At some point, it won't be worth registering old cars and trucks, which seems to be the rationale behind these ever increasing fees. So IMO, have as much fun as you can fixing up and enjoying these rides, because eventually, they will go the way of the horse and carriage. Maybe not in our life time, but for sure within the next 100 years. Probably sooner. And yeah, gas will probably get to $50 bucks a gallon at some point too.

Anyway, to the OP, there's a way to drop an LS engine in your ride, without spending 10K, and getting it to pass smog. It's been done. It probably puts out way less CO than the original TBI small block too.

Last edited:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So how much are registration fees in CA anyways? I've always heard they are high, but have no clue what high means. GMT400s if it matters?

And what does the Smog inspection cost? It's still every 2 years, right?

LA2SD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So how much are registration fees in CA anyways? I've always heard they are high, but have no clue what high means. GMT400s if it matters?

And what does the Smog inspection cost? It's still every 2 years, right?

This year, I paid $168 to register a 28 year old truck. Back in 2013, I paid $117. Is it breaking the bank? No, not yet. But as you can see, the fees have steadily increased.

Yeah, smog is every 2 years. It's about $60 at a place down the street. $10 for the certificate, and $50 for the inspection.

I haven't owned a new truck in years, so maybe the fees are even more. Which means I should probably stop my bitching and complaining if that's the case haha.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years ago when I lived there registration cost was calculated from the value of the vehicle. A more expensive car cost more to register. Is it still that way? Here in IL it's a flat fee per plate type regardless of vehicle value.

Reaction score
My 89 K1500 was $204 my 2019 was $850. they want $158 to register my '36 gmc, right now it is non-op'd and the wifes 2013 hyundai was almost 200 this year, should I go on with the rest of my fleet. don't forget insurance , much higher here in calif also. these fees are tough on someone who is retired.

imkwuzn

Reaction score
My ‘97 Tahoe is $179.00 a year and will never go down. Before the last gas tax/registration increase bill they shoved down our throats, it was under $100.00. My ‘04 X5 is $293.00. It is based on the original purchase price and depreciated for 11 years and then freezes. CA is ridiculously expensive when it comes to fees and insurance. And good luck finding a smog shop that will pass your vehicle if it’s not 100% legal. They won’t even pass my Corvette with a cold air intake that doesn’t have a CARB sticker on it. They use mirrors to check cars and exhaust. It’s no joke.