LS swap advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedHeadedLead

Reaction score
You would be lucky to put the stock 240 hp to the wheels naturally aspirated on a $2000 swap budget. Your 5.3 would need to make close to 500 hp at the crank to put out 400 rear wheel. By the time you pickup an engine and trans, get the swap mounts and brackets, plumb the fuel system and cooling system, change the fuel pump, build an exhaust system, build an air intake and get the PCM flashed you will have used most of that $2K budget. That is before actually modding anything and tuning it.

I spent nearly 2 years acquiring parts for the 6.0L swap I made on an 87 G20 van. I was able to do the swap for about $2,000. I had a $400 6.0L with harness that came out of a truck that was hit hard. I had to change the timing cover on it because of damage. I got the whole engine with accessories, PCM, TAC module and DBW pedal although I ended up using a Hemi Ram DBW pedal instead on the swap. I found a cheap 4th gen fan assembly and bought a new 88 454 van radiator. I used a $250 junkyard 4L80E behind it. Used ICT billet swap mounts and high mounted a Vortec 350 ac/compressor with a $250 bracket setup fpr a GMT400 truck swap. I built my own harness. I found a set of NIB Speed Engineering C10 swap headers and had an exhaust system built around a 2.5 dual in/3" single out magnaflow I had laying around. I had a set of 5.3 heads laying around that I had Lloyd Elliot port, install 2.00" intake valves and put double springs on. Used a high performance $250 Elgin roller cam. Even still it is only about 350 hp at the tires and it is a 6.0L.

You must be registered for see images attach
Thanks for the info.

RedHeadedLead

Reaction score
There's a really great LS Swap GMT400 Facebook group called "LS Swapped 88-98 OBS Trucks/SUV". It's well worth checking out and tons of great information.

For 400 RWHP, your best bet is always displacement or forced air. I would start with a 6.0 (LQ4 or LQ9). I know they are pricier but to get that goal is much easier. At that power level and depending how you drive, you have to start looking at other things too. Rear end and transmission are big things to consider upgrading also.
Thanks

RedHeadedLead

Reaction score
Like others have said.....400rwhp is going to be tough with $2000. I've got a lq9 that'll be going in my Tahoe. I have spent that alone buying the engine, having Texas Speed go through the head & CNC port them. With a cam & TBSS intake I hope to be around 400rwhp. Not saying you can't find deals out there if you want to wait, but it'll be tough.
All the replies are appreciated. Like i said it'll be a bit into the future before I'll be able to do this. I was just looking for anyone with experience on the matter since I've never done anything like this before.

Madscientist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Easiest thing to do when looking for a motor is find a complete vechicle. Wrecked, high mile, bad transmission, etc . Its good to have the donor vechicle because there are always little piddley things that add up quickly. I myself picked up a decently clean (for my area) 02 suburban for $500 and used alot of parts and then parted it out and made $2500 off of it that i stuck back into my truck.

RedHeadedLead

Reaction score
Easiest thing to do when looking for a motor is find a complete vechicle. Wrecked, high mile, bad transmission, etc . Its good to have the donor vechicle because there are always little piddley things that add up quickly. I myself picked up a decently clean (for my area) 02 suburban for $500 and used alot of parts and then parted it out and made $2500 off of it that i stuck back into my truck.
I've found a couple around here like that. Thanks for the advice.

Edward Case

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
that's the way. Find a good truck with the parts/mods are already done, but has a blown trans or something that makes the owner want to get rid of it quick. I do this all the time and have enough leftover parts to build two trucks. I slowly sell things off to get the cash back and make a buck for my truck.

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do your research is the main thing, read everything you can find. The better informed you are the better. Plenty of experience on this forum and the internet in general. Like others have said gather as much of the needed parts as you can before hand. Any and all parts you can acquire without digging into your budget money effectively increases the budget. Also, think about starting a build thread. Everyone likes to see what others are doing, anyone can have a good/great idea that others might be able to use.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Find a 6.0L/4L80E 2500 or 3500 Van for a donor. Cheaper to buy and better driveline than a 5.3/4L60E. Just watch out for ones with the base 4.8.