Lower Control Arm Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkennedy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The one of the stabilizer bar links on my truck is broken. While I was inspecting the lower control arm I noticed that the hole for the link is oval. Overall, the hole is so uniform that I can't tell if this is the way it's made or it's worn out. There is wear on one side of the hole where the broken link has rubbed over time, but I'm wondering if the damage is enough that I need to replace the lower control arm or could I clean that up and install a new link?

You must be registered for see images attach

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would weld a nice thick washer to the lower control arm with the same size hole in it as your end link need's and call it a day. That is unless you are needing to replace the lower CA for some other reason.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the LCA. Just pop a new link in with new bushings and it will be fine. Tip: drop the sway bar when you do it. Will make it incredibly easier to line up, and its just 4 10MM bolts on each side. Good chance to put in new sway bar bushings too.

dkennedy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info/opinions. My priorities are to get this thing on the road, and since I lack a welder, or access to one at the moment I think I'll clean up that hole and pick up a $4 link and throw it in there for the time being. I'm going to rebuild the front end next spring anyway, so I'll see how it holds up then... if need be I can make a trip to the junkyard then for a replacement. It's been a long time since I've had to price a new lower control arm, but starting at $120 for an El Cheapo replacement kinda blew me away.

BTW - I put my spider on order last night and hope it gets here in time to put it on this coming Monday or Tuesday.

dkennedy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been thinking about replacing the upper and lower control arms when I rebuild the front end in the spring... everything under there is kind of beat up and otherwise worn out. While I was looking at parts I ran across several different options of "quality" parts, BUT I'm wondering, what is an advantage to buying those Moog (or similar) tubular upper control arms?

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
They would most likely have better ball joints and bushings. Beyond that, probably not much difference.