Lower Control Arm Bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RPMerf

Reaction score
97 Suburban K1500 4WD

Had a clunk in the front end so I am replacing the upper control arms, lower control arm bushings, lower ball joints, and tie rods. Everything was going smoothly until I got to the lower bolts. They seem to be rusted into the bushing sleeve. I can barely get them to move with a breaker bar, and my impact and beating on them with a hammer has not been able to get them out so far. I think I am going to have to cut them out.

Does anyone have a source for LCA bolts? Should I just look for grade 8 bolts in the appropriate size?

Thank you

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW a 5/8 bolt is about .004 inch smaller than the metric 16mm bolt in there. I know at least some lift kits use standard 5/8 grade 8 bolts and they are easier to find. I wouldn’t normally replace metric with standard, but this is so close and you are not dealing with an interference fit.

RPMerf

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that replied.

I do have new AC Delco bushings, but I don't believe they came with bolts. I'll double check.

I have a nut and bolt place I've gone to for specialty bolts. They should have whatever I need.

Was trying to look at GM parts sites and diagrams, but I was having a hard time finding the bolts.

Tried a torch a bit, but I can't see the sleeve where it is rusted and I don't want to get parts I'm keeping too hot. I have been soaking it in PB Blaster. Then heat it up with a torch and soak it again. I'm going to take another good shot at it before I start cutting. I have spun 1 of the bolts a full 360° with a 2' breaker bar.