Lower Ball Joint help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
I've been in the process of replacing ALL my front-end (steering) components, all I've left to do is the Lower Ball Joints.

I'm wondering if I could do the following to get the LCA's off:

* Remove sway bar (replace rubber bushing/end link)
* Remove the 2 bolts attaching LCA-Frame
* Remove bolt from LCA-Tie Rod

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Or am I wrong?

I'll be tearing this b¡tch apart this weekend, alignment on Monday.

-Truckin-

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
The tie-rod connects to the knuckle not the LCA. You'll want to disconnect the ball joint from the knuckle before taking the bolts out of the frame.

And I know you realllly dont want to hear this - but to get the lower ball joint out of the knuckle you have to remove the CV axle as well.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't forget the torsion bar! It's for a Blazer, but the point is the same.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't forget the torsion bar!

Yes the torsion bars will have to be unloaded and removed to get the LCA out. What is the reason for removing the LCA to just do balljoints?

Just remove sway bar links, CV axle, jack up LCA, loosen up lower balljoint nut and seperate from knuckle with a pickle fork, then you can press out the lower balljoint. I find having the upper balljoint does help the job too.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
A major one at that if doing the LCA bushings!

If you have torches it will make it easier to get the bushings out, and also for any seized up bolts.

a balljoint press with a impact gun takes the bushing right out, works great for leaf spring bolts and ujoints too