Low Profile Tire "Load Index" Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldelpasso

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just spoke to a larger tire chain that says they can't sell me low profile tires (35 series) because my truck is too heavy.

What's the workaround here? Obviously guys run low profile tires on their trucks all day long. Is there a manufacturer that makes a thicker/stronger side wall, similar to a runflat?

Anyone else run into something similar? Do I just go to a smaller tire shop, or order online? Recommendations are appreciated.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're either idiots or lying. A tire with an XL load range is what you're looking for, tons of manufacturers make em, from top of the line offerings all the way down to bargain basement brands.
OEM's use XL load range tires on SUV's with lower profile tires, there's absolutely no reason they wouldn't safe on your truck.

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
Yes look up tire sidewall info chart on google and it will tell you what all those numbers and letters mean. And you can look up specific tires and should have a weight per tire load chart to see. But any tire place like SYN said should be fine with giving you all specs of tire your looking forward to buy!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
They're either idiots or lying. A tire with an XL load range is what you're looking for, tons of manufacturers make em, from top of the line offerings all the way down to bargain basement brands.
OEM's use XL load range tires on SUV's with lower profile tires, there's absolutely no reason they wouldn't safe on your truck.
It's good to pay attention to tire load ratings when you're talking about heavier vehicles. A light duty low profile tire meant for a small car won't do well on your truck.

Toyo Proxes ST III are offered in a bunch of sizes with an XL load rating, and so far, all the ones I've bought happened to be made in the USA. Got a lot of miles out of these tires - from the original ST's, ST II's, and now the III's. Ran them on the black '94 C2500LD and have them on both our SS's.

On my 300 which is also pretty heavy (for a car anyway) I run the BFG Sport Comp2 which are also available in XL load ratings. Softer compound than the Toyos, but I mash the pedal considerably harder on the 300 than I do in the truck.

Look your size up on Tire Rack and see what's available. They have handy pop-up bubbles next to all the important numbers that will tell you specifically what the ratings are on each tire.

Richard

oldelpasso

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for that advice Richard! With a couple of exceptions, it looked like most of the XL rated tires on Tire Rack had the same weight rating, which made me wonder if they were accurate or not. I went with a Michelin Pilot Sport all season, which had the highest weight rating of all of the tires in my size, and overall good buyer ratings. My truck won't be my daily, and I don't have a heavy foot so hopefully they'll hold up.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's good to pay attention to tire load ratings when you're talking about heavier vehicles. A light duty low profile tire meant for a small car won't do well on your truck.

Toyo Proxes ST III are offered in a bunch of sizes with an XL load rating, and so far, all the ones I've bought happened to be made in the USA. Got a lot of miles out of these tires - from the original ST's, ST II's, and now the III's. Ran them on the black '94 C2500LD and have them on both our SS's.

On my 300 which is also pretty heavy (for a car anyway) I run the BFG Sport Comp2 which are also available in XL load ratings. Softer compound than the Toyos, but I mash the pedal considerably harder on the 300 than I do in the truck.

Look your size up on Tire Rack and see what's available. They have handy pop-up bubbles next to all the important numbers that will tell you specifically what the ratings are on each tire.

Richard
As I understand it, load range XL tires are "car" tires designed for heavier vehicles. When you say load ratings I think you mean ply ratings, which refers to "truck" tires specifically. OEM's don't necessarily put "truck" tires on SUV's, particularly luxury or sporty ones, they use XL load range "car" tires.
My logic here is that if an XL load range tire is good enough for a full size SUV, it will be fine for the "sport" style of trucks the OP and many others of us here have, unlikely to be loaded to the gills with gravel, or pull anything heavier than a car trailer.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
As I understand it, load range XL tires are "car" tires designed for heavier vehicles. When you say load ratings I think you mean ply ratings, which refers to "truck" tires specifically. OEM's don't necessarily put "truck" tires on SUV's, particularly luxury or sporty ones, they use XL load range "car" tires.
My logic here is that if an XL load range tire is good enough for a full size SUV, it will be fine for the "sport" style of trucks the OP and many others of us here have, unlikely to be loaded to the gills with gravel, or pull anything heavier than a car trailer.
Correct. Load range; definitely don't mean to confuse the issue with wrong terminology.

Dunno about referring to them as "car" tires for trucks/suv's but I do get what you're saying. That might be generalizing just a bit much to describe all the XL tires though, as many of them seem to me designed specifically for trucks/SUV's and may look goofy on a car of any kind. Hell, some of them look goofy on trucks/SUV's too but that's just my opinion. :)

Richard

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct. Load range; definitely don't mean to confuse the issue with wrong terminology.

Dunno about referring to them as "car" tires for trucks/suv's but I do get what you're saying. That might be generalizing just a bit much to describe all the XL tires though, as many of them seem to me designed specifically for trucks/SUV's and may look goofy on a car of any kind. Hell, some of them look goofy on trucks/SUV's too but that's just my opinion. :)

Richard
Yeah, I was using it as a generalization, but it's not a very good one. As long as we (OP especially) are all on the same page, all is well.