Low buck TBI truck Cams

Cam Choice

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blanco_obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You want a choppy idle but don't wanna go fast? Lean out your idle AFRs and call it a day.

Lol I mean I’m. I’m not tryna run a 10 second quarter mile. Of course I’d like it to have balls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blanco_obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was just gotta take the 5.3 apart and put a Texas speed cam and ls3 valves springs and retainers in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sohnnie-jines

Reaction score
Just call Comp Cams and talk to their tech dept. Tell them what you're looking to do and they will tell you the best cam for your combo and intensions. Used them with the last three motors I built and no complaints. They will obviously ask you all the questions engine, fuel setup, etc. to get the right one.

Junior_357

Reaction score
Pick a cam because it makes power where you use it.

DO NOT pick a cam because of how it "sounds".

This...100% truth. A lumpy cam in a low-compression engine = a DOG when driven on the street. I plan on building a 406 to replace my aging 350...but even then, it will have a mild cam that taps out about 5400 rpms. But the 406 will produce something like 450-460hp and 500-520ft-lbs with my chosen cam and about 10-10.25:1 compression & aluminum heads. That's MORE than enough for me...and the engine will barely have a "lope" to it.

Another ugly side effect of running a lumpy cam is the loss of ability to run power brakes and air conditioning. Not to mention any cam with less than 112 degrees of lobe separation will make the TBI system lose its mind. Even aftermarket injection systems don't like anything less than 112...too much overlap and the computer can't handle it.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
This...100% truth. A lumpy cam in a low-compression engine = a DOG when driven on the street. I plan on building a 406 to replace my aging 350...but even then, it will have a mild cam that taps out about 5400 rpms. But the 406 will produce something like 450-460hp and 500-520ft-lbs with my chosen cam and about 10-10.25:1 compression & aluminum heads. That's MORE than enough for me...and the engine will barely have a "lope" to it.

Another ugly side effect of running a lumpy cam is the loss of ability to run power brakes and air conditioning. Not to mention any cam with less than 112 degrees of lobe separation will make the TBI system lose its mind. Even aftermarket injection systems don't like anything less than 112.

Stock Vortec cam at 111 runs just fine on a TBI. This is a vague misconception. I'd wager the marine cam at 109 would do just fine as well.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
111, 112...so close it probably doesn't make a difference. Try a 106-108 cam...the story will be drastically different.

You didn't say a 106-108 though in the first post. Such a statement also ignores duration and valve timing events in general. Yes, the TBIs are more limited than a 411 Vortec, but they're more capable than a lot of people realize too.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Watch with the Enginetech performance cams, I bought one for a project and it was made in China. I did not like the finish work on the lobes. The lobes were "rough" over the nose. Not worth trashing a new build to save a few bucks on a cam. I also stay away from Comp.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
111, 112...so close it probably doesn't make a difference. Try a 106-108 cam...the story will be drastically different.
I have run a 108 LSA in a TBI. Ran just fine. Its not LSA. It is overlap. On a small cam the tight LSA still pulls great vacuum.