Loopy idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The IR temp gun will serve you better in the long run as you can use it on a whole lot more than your coolant temp. :) A decent one will set you back around $100-$200. Don't know if I would trust any no-name ones for less. You could save some bucks by getting a used one, I suggest Fluke, just choose carefully and get one with a useful range to you, and read the descriptions and seller feedback carefully so you're not buying a dud. The Fluke 62 mini I've owned for 20+ years still serving me well. Their replacement for it, the 62 MAX, lists for $110 direct from Fluke with free shipping. The 62 MAX has a range of -22F to 932F so it's good for a lot of automotive stuff except maybe extreme catalytic converter failure diagnosis, since those can run up to 1700F in normal operation. They could easily get much hotter if the mixture is off..

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A radiator cap with a thermometer built-in is almost certainly a Chinese import. Might as well buy a real temp gauge rather than reading temperature on the cool tank of the radiator.

When I went shopping for an infra-red "Temp gun", I selected a Mastercool unit because it was the only one in my price range with adjustable emissivity control. It's ability to accept "K" thermocouples is a bonus.

www.amazon.com/MASTERCOOL-52225-Infrared-Thermometer-Laser/dp/B000OCKHGQ

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GriffisClnCo