Loopy idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Texvet

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1992, 5.7, SCLB, 1500, 2WD

I finally worked through my no start issue. I also replaced the MAP sensor because the 33 code showed up after it left me stranded. I don't think the MAP sensor had a role in the no start. But replaced it because it thru a code.

The truck runs as it should.... Except it has a bouncy idle at cold start. I does it for 30 seconds or so, then smooths out steady at 700 rpm - until I put it gear - then it stumbles again, bouncing it 1000 - 1500, then settles in at 550 - 600 (in gear). Acceleration is good/normal. Half the time when I come to a stop it bobbles/stumbles but hasn't stalled because throw it into neutral. Then it goes back to a steady idle.

I pulled the IAC to see if it was dirty. It was clean as a whistle. Timing is right on the 0 degree mark.

What are your thoughts?

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck did that too when it had the stock tbi 350. I did everything you did to try to fix the problem (at first) but learned to live with it when nothing worked. I went as far as replacing my EGR valve, cap and rotor. I didnt want to spend the money on plugs and wires because i knew this engine was going to be removed soon.

To be honest I didnt mind it bc i like a choppy idle. I knew it wasnt right but i was having an engine built so i didnt care to much.

Come to find out my timing chain had some slop in it. Dont know if that was the cause or not but thats the only thing I could find. Keep in mind im far from being a mechanic so im sure it was something else.

Last edited:

Texvet

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear what your saying. I wish a rebuild or new motor were in the cards for me.

It is worst on a cold start, after it gets to operating temp it only does it half the time (at idle). I don't notice it at all above an idle. Not to say it isn't doing it? But the tach does not bounce like it is. In fact the truck seems to run great.

I am wondering if the IMC I installed to fix the no start issue it's working as it should? It came from AZ and from what I read they are boarder line junk?

Worst part is I don't feel like I can trust it - just waiting for it leave me stranded again!!!