Loopy idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So - I should get a good quality coil and see if it runs OK?

I don't know of any parts houses that test ICMs
What brand ICM do you have? Did you use plenty of thermal paste under it? If it were me, I'd change the coil and then take it out for a ride and data log looking for unexplained jumps in timing. I caught mine (an almost new Pertronix Flame Thrower coil and Spectra Premium ICM) jumping while cruising at ~2200 RPM. The ICM will send a false pulse to the ECM which will think it's running faster and throw different fuel/timing at it, and your truck will surge or pop. In my case it jumped to 4775 RPM.

You must be registered for see images attach

Or you can just change it out with a good quality ICM...

Texvet

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will get a get a quality coil as you suggested. The ICM just installed is a Duralast DR140 from AutoZone. I put the quarter size dollop heat sink grease that was in the box with the ICM. I don't have a scanner, so I will install a coil and see how it runs.

I think I've seen the light regarding cheap parts.

Thanks again for your advise.

Texvet

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So far so good, keep your fingers crossed.:waytogo:
I had a little roughness at idle until it hit operating temp. Not nearly as bad as before the new coil. Every once in a while it would stumble, in gear at a stop light. Anything above idle speed was fine.

Does it sound like the ICM is suspect? Either junk to begin with, or damaged by the bad coil?

Do you know what the difference between Delco ICM part numbers 1943A and 1984A? The obvious difference (to me) is the 1984A cost $33 more.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score