Looking at getting a custom tune need some advice!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kwslvdo96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1996 Silverado 1500 4X4 5.7 Vortec with only 47K original miles. I'm looking to get a good 91 or 93 octane tune I would like to get some advice as to who has had good luck with tunes and if it is actually worth it or not? I run the stock tire size and I tow a 4500lb camper during summer so I'm looking for little more power and maybe a little better gas mileage. I'm also needing to know who does good tunes for the 5.7 Vortec thanks

kkirwan71

women problems
Reaction score
I have a 1996 Silverado 1500 4X4 5.7 Vortec with only 47K original miles. I'm looking to get a good 91 or 93 octane tune I would like to get some advice as to who has had good luck with tunes and if it is actually worth it or not? I run the stock tire size and I tow a 4500lb camper during summer so I'm looking for little more power and maybe a little better gas mileage. I'm also needing to know who does good tunes for the 5.7 Vortec thanks
performance. Google them Justin is a cool guy

sent from my glade air freshner

kwslvdo96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just looked up performance seems like they have a lot of good reviews, I'm just wondering if anybody has had a tune on the 5.7 vortec and can give me some insight on if it was worth the money. I had a custom tune done on my 2004 5.3 and it ran good and shifted better but wasn't worth the 400 I spent on it in my opinion. I'm wondering if I'm just better off having a corvette servo installed and calling it good. Or if a good tune will make a difference I can feel?

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Def worth it. If you think you can spend 290 on something else, that'll give you more - not gonna happen. It really enhances the drivability.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

21Actual

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I second the bla ckbear tune. I just got the Mail order variety and it really woke up the 5.7 in my 98. If I was to do it again, I wouldve opted for the datalog tune service just to get that bit extra out of it. But I have zero regrets. Its money well spent.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Another vote for Black Bear here. I had my V6 truck tuned for 91 octane by them and it was an extremely noticeable difference. I've since put the factory tune back in, but mostly because I had them firm up the shifts as much as possible and remove 100% of the torque management. I got tired of the truck trying to break my neck every time it shifted gears. :lol: Long story short, it's definitely worth the money. I just probably would leave the shift points and torque management alone for the most part.

kwslvdo96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank a lot for your replies looks like ill be contacting Justin at Monday. I was on his site and I think I'm going to try and go to his Indiana meet in 2016 and have it done in person so I can get a good solid tune done.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They can't do in-person or scan cable tunes on our trucks unless you've swapped to the 411 PCM. For our factory black box PCMs it's traditional mail order tunes only.