Long bed to short bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greg Branning

Reaction score
looking for info about short bed conversion. I have 99 crew 3500 srw and want to do a short bed . Thanks for any info

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With a blue tip wrench and a welder everything is possible ! I shortened a 1965 Dodge LWB once and made it a SWB. The good old days rolling around in grass and dirt under a truck. I went on to put a nice paint job on it, and you could not tell it from a factory SWB unless you got under it and seen the frame plates.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sure, it can be done. While generally I'd say buy the truck you want and sell yours, but I know the 3500 crew shortbed trucks aren't super common.

Shortening the frame can get tricky; hope you're a really good welder or know one you can depend on. You'll have to take length out between the cab and the upkick over the rear axle. The frame is tapered too, not dead parallel, so that adds some complexity.

Shorten brake lines, fuel lines, may need to play around with the tank mount or replace tank with smaller shortbed unit, wiring harnesses, driveshaft, exhaust...

As for the bed, you'd be money ahead buying a good used one instead of chopping yours. Sell yours to recoup some cost.

Remember...measure twice, cut once.

Richard

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
If he is going from an 8' bed to a 6' bed all he has to do is move the rear axle forward by moving the spring hangers forward,cut the frame behind the rear spring mount and set the 6'box on new mounts. He may have to install a 25 gallon tank but I am not sure about that.
and like it was mentioned shortening of the lines for fuel and brake systems. The electric is not a big deal.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If he is going from an 8' bed to a 6' bed all he has to do is move the rear axle forward by moving the spring hangers forward,cut the frame behind the rear spring mount and set the 6'box on new mounts.
If the frame rails were dead straight and parallel then that would be correct. Unfortunately the only trucks in the GMT400 lineup like that would be the 3500HD, and the chassis cab version of the 3500...not the regular pickups.

Richard

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know this is an old post but did the op ever get this done?
The OP haven't been on here in almost 5 years, and only had, 2 post. The last post was in 2018, No one knows of it ever was done, but I would be willing to bet, no. Most likely, someone who was just looking for answers on a though they had.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I planned on doing what this guy did with my 89 long box.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media