Short bed dually box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Buddy of mine's project that about half of it was done at my shop. He did most of the work but I assisted here and there and provided a ton of parts. It started as a RCSB stepside V6/NV43500...he put in a 502 big block (and kept the NV3500! it lived longer than anybody thought it would, but it did eventually frag), he initially brought it to my shop to do some drop springs and get some other misc. parts.
You must be registered for see images attach

He later got the idea to do the short bed dually conversion and wanted to use all actual dually parts. I was in the middle of doing my 3500HD project so I had the '96 C3500 engine/trans/etc. donor right there already coming apart. He got the rear end, leaf pack (several leafs pulled), forged UCA's, front brake parts, etc. and used cut coils and drop spindles for the front and flip kit/notch in the back, along with drop shackles; we also cut the bump stop pads off the axle for clearance as he'd pulled a lot of leafs.

The fender flares are off my old green '98 crew cab shop wrecker because the '96 flares were too beat up. The shortbed I had was scrap because someone had done a terrible taillight filler job on it and welded/bondo'd them in; he figured he'd practice chopping it up and do another later if needed. It came out OK. IIRC this was the first night it rolled out of the shop with everything mostly complete.

Sounded pretty tough, too. Not the greatest video but I just followed him as he backed it out of the shop, listening to the cam chop. :)
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He did some flush-mount LED's as cab and tailgate markers, and some LED bar strips like the ones used on my wireless tow lights (where the inspiration came from) for the taillights. Here's the "little bro/big bro" pic with my 3500HD.

If my site was still up I coulda just linked the build page. :( (F U Godaddy)

Richard
I used to refer back to bowtiebreakers quite a bit.

hank45122

Reaction score
Yes but with modifications of course. You have to make some pretty large cuts in the bedsides and make them carefully so that everything lines up correctly. Since you have an existing bed, I suggest using butcher paper or similar to make templates for the cuts, and the holes to be drilled for the fender fasteners. When I helped a friend build a shortbed dually this made things a lot easier.

Factory cuts and holes on a regular longbed dually, this truck was the donor for the fender flares:

He made the rough cuts for the wheelwell on the shortbed:

And I'm transferring the pattern for the holes using template and center punch - used the upper body line as a reference mark. Pretty sure we used the center of the rear hub for our other reference, since that would be the only constant between short or longbed; the position of the axle.

Since we used fender flares from a regular longbed dually, the fuel door on the shortbed interfered just a little bit, so we chopped it instead of re-working the fender flare. I do believe your shortbed dually fender flares are unique to the model to solve this issue - but I'm not 100% sure, never having worked on one.

Came out pretty decent for some hacking on an old junk bed that would've otherwise gone to scrap.

Richard
What size offset wheels and tires are you running?

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Buddy of mine's project that about half of it was done at my shop. He did most of the work but I assisted here and there and provided a ton of parts. It started as a RCSB stepside V6/NV3500...he put in a 502 big block (and kept the NV3500! it lived longer than anybody thought it would, but it did eventually frag), he initially brought it to my shop to do some drop springs and get some other misc. parts.

He later got the idea to do the short bed dually conversion and wanted to use all actual dually parts. I was in the middle of doing my 3500HD project so I had the '96 C3500 engine/trans/etc. donor right there already coming apart. He got the rear end, leaf pack (several leafs pulled), forged UCA's, front brake parts, etc. and used cut coils and drop spindles for the front and flip kit/notch in the back, along with drop shackles; we also cut the bump stop pads off the axle for clearance as he'd pulled a lot of leafs.

The fender flares are off my old green '98 crew cab shop wrecker because the '96 flares were too beat up. The shortbed I had was scrap because someone had done a terrible taillight filler job on it and welded/bondo'd them in; he figured he'd practice chopping it up and do another later if needed. It came out OK. IIRC this was the first night it rolled out of the shop with everything mostly complete.

Sounded pretty tough, too. Not the greatest video but I just followed him as he backed it out of the shop, listening to the cam chop. :)
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He did some flush-mount LED's as cab and tailgate markers, and some LED bar strips like the ones used on my wireless tow lights (where the inspiration came from) for the taillights. Here's the "little bro/big bro" pic with my 3500HD.

If my site was still up I coulda just linked the build page. :( (F U Godaddy)

Richard
Yup. That's the one I remembered. Did anyone come up with the recent fbook listing on it?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What size offset wheels and tires are you running?
Huh? You mean on my friend's truck? They're regular dually wheels... aftermarket chrome with a weird pattern in them but still basically regular dually offset whatever that was. No idea on the tires. They were little. This truck was built 15 years ago and it's not mine.

Yup. That's the one I remembered. Did anyone come up with the recent fbook listing on it?
Not yet :( was really hoping to see it.

Richard

Last edited:

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No I searched for days to find the listing. I originally found it by searching 1500 Silverado or swb Chevy as part of my daily market place search. It was somewhere in central/south Texas