Lifter Recomendations For Cam Setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The stock lifters are limited on lift before they run into the stock dog bone retainers. Make sure any aftermarket replacements can handle the lift of your cam.
Supposedly the plastic LS lifter holders allow you to run higher lift, and they play just fine with the stock SBC spider.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
virtually no limitations, but lotsa machinework required, and only practical for racing, Big $

Oldguy

Reaction score
Built a 5.7 a couple of years ago. Used a specially engineered Bullet cam. Original new OE LS7 lifters. A couple of them failed after aa few hundred miles. Replaced them with HY LIFT lifters which were quite a bit more money but highly recommend by professional race engine builder. Never had a problem since.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Supposedly the plastic LS lifter holders allow you to run higher lift, and they play just fine with the stock SBC spider.
the issue isn't the lifter hitting the dog bone, but the oil band coming out of the lifter bore. this will bleed off oil pressure in the lifter valley and starve the valve train. i think .365" lobe lift is in the danger zone from what I remember.

btw, they make a LS style lifter tray for SBC. I've ran them in the last few engines i've done. They are nice. I sware they run quieter but I have no proof, probably just placebo.

main advantage to them is you unbolt rockers, turn the engine over a few times and you can pull the cam out without pulling the intake&lifters

Attachments

• c0ff1ecbc_df602d0d35617c6e42e4dfcf1c35907b2584c57e.jpg
    c0ff1ecbc_df602d0d35617c6e42e4dfcf1c35907b2584c57e.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the issue isn't the lifter hitting the dog bone, but the oil band coming out of the lifter bore. this will bleed off oil pressure in the lifter valley and starve the valve train. i think .365" lobe lift is in the danger zone from what I remember.
I wonder if that's a problem on the L29 big block. I have a persistent valvetrain noise that I can't figure out, running low mile stock l29 lifters on a comp cam 08-411. But it doesn't seem to be getting worse.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i dont know much about big blocks so can't answer that..compcams uses aggressive lobes on their grinds which cause all sorts of valve train and/or lifter noise in my experience..i had an xtreme grind years ago and the solution to noise was to swap to a different cam.