Lift Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PCnerd73

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first truck I've thought about modifying. I've always wanted a lifted truck, and I just bought one this last weekend. I got a 1992 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4. I'm looking at bolting on a 6" suspension lift and a 2" body lift. I'm rather mechanically inclined, but I've never done anything like this. Am I getting in over my head? What can I expect? What is the largest size tire I can run with that much lift? Do I need to re-gear it? I appreciate any answers you guys can throw my way.
Thanks in advance!

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Can't tell if your getting g in over your head because I don't know you. I recommend super lift.you should be able to fit 38s I'd say and yes you'll need to re gear with those tires

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
The lifts themselves are pretty basic but tire size varies by truck. Also you don't have to regear but it's a good idea to.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Take your time, follow the instructions, and don't take short cuts. It's pretty simple to lift one of these trucks. Allocate enough time. It took me and a buddy, both of us pretty experienced, 28 hours total to put the 6" on my 92. We took our time and drank beer. Prepare to replace ball joints and other suspension parts. EXCELLENT time to replace all the steering components that are surely worn out. When budgeting, lift costs x, tires cost x, and wheels cost x, but nobody budgest for all the replacement suspension stuff you'll either be forced to do (ball joints if they are original) and steering stuff. Add $200-$300.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I know a fair amount about lifted trucks so if you need any help hit me up.
Its not over your head. I run 6" Pro Comp lift kit and 3" Performance Accessories body lift on 35" muds. If you want to off road with no worries stick with 35's you could fit 38's if you got a 3" BL. But your putting a lot more strain on the front end. I have 4:56 gears and they are perfect with 35's i get decent MPG for a lifted truck and i do long road trips often. You might want to get energy suspension body mounts kit for when you do the BL, your stock mounts will be trash.
You must be registered for see images attach

PCnerd73

Reaction score
I'll stick with 35" then. The lift kit I was looking at said I could use 35" but I figured if I added the body lift I could go bigger. But as you said, more clearance for mud isn't a bad idea... This will be my weekend playtoy when I'm not driving it to work. Thanks for the input guys, I'll definitely let you know what kit I choose, and when I start working on it. Replacing the worn parts is an excellent idea if I'm going to have it ripped all apart anyway. Thanks!

PCnerd73

Reaction score
I checked out Energy Suspension. It looks like they replace the stock size body mounts. Do body lift kits not do this? Are they just an add-on to your existing setup?

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
Body lifts go ontop of the body mount.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

PCnerd73

Reaction score
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for putting up with the inane questions of a newbie. :)