Lift advice for a novice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
By a 1.5" crank is that referring to adjusting the factory torsion keys / bar as mentioned earlier in the thread? This is something standard the tire shop can do when they do the alignment after installing new tires?

Correct. You'll definitely want an alignment after you adjust the keys anyway, you'll get abnormal tire wear if you skip that step.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
If you don't want to spend the dough on a 4"-6" suspension lift, I've done body lifts on all my GMT400 4x4's, and honestly I recommend them. They're a good bang for the buck, and if you work on your own stuff, provide some extra clearance for a variety of common repair areas.

Should you desire to attempt turning up your torsion bars, I'd advise only going 1"-1.5" max. Most factory keys will provide adequate adjustment.

I've ran a 305/70R16 on stock wheels with a 3" body lift alone. No rubbing or trimming with full suspension travel lock-to-lock. Actual offroad experience.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Maybe something to consider when buying parts, is to elaborate that you have a 99 “classic”. Most places should understand that you have the previous version as opposed to the new one. Seeing as 99 was a complete lineup change as well as platform, it’s certainly noteworthy.
As for lift kits, you can use the 88-98 kit.