Let's talk lockers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
While I would not advise installing a G80, they're not as terrible as some may think.

My truck has 437,000 on the factory G80 in the 14 bolt FF. It tows HEAVY regularly (CGVWR ~ 18-19,000 lbs) and runs 4:10 gearing. It also survives behind ~ 450 ft/lbs from my diesel.

But, my tires are close to stock sizes and it's mainly a pavement pounder with mud and fire roads thrown in. I'm also not a burnout king or do I punish it off road with spin/grab situ's.

My suggestion if you plan to run large tires and hammer a 2wd in mud and rocks would be to drop the 10 bolt and spend that 400 bucks on a 14 bolt semi-floating axle or, better yet; a full floating axle. Open or G80 is fine. Go for a locker later on as the corporate 14 bolt is a very supported axle in the aftermarket.

If you do get a G80 center in a 14 bolt, you will need to swap out the whole guts later if you plan to change lockers when/if you blow it up...

glfirefighter144

Whoa Black Betty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope you are not ARB'ing a 10 bolt.....

i am putting it in a 6 lug 14 SF. i knew not to mess with it in a 10 bolt

The OP wants to but a locker on his 2wd, he will be running 31" - 33" tires. The weakest point on a 10 bolt is the G80. Which he want to put a locker in it so he obviously doesn't have to worry about. I don't understand why everyone hates on a 10 bolt when the main problem is the g80, yes I understand that if your running huge tires and beating the crap out of it you can brake and axle. But I've beat the crap out of my 10bolt with 37" Boggers. No issues, but I have a locker, not a G80.

which is why i wouldn't suggest going to the extreme of ARB in a 10 bolt.

also, i have a G80 in my 2wd, and it is at 245000 miles on what i can tell is the factory axle, but never opened it to check the innards

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Spools and welded spiders work i will agree, except that in corners you always get tire squeel. Also welded spiders are not fool proof........

PO welded the spiders on my 94 eventually 3 teeth on pinion gear went AWOL due to a weld breaking and getting between ring and pinion
True and spools will kill tires very quickly when driven on the street.
Also, guess i should amend my previous statement about welded diffs, when done properly, they are fool proof, also depends on the diff. Generally the carrier becomes the weak point in the diff. Also i usually will put chunks or steel slugs between the spiders for extra durability.