Less than 8 miles on new crate motor, smokes white and has slight tick at idle.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goetso

Reaction score
Hey everybody, Just got to drive my truck tonight after finishing motor swap. Already having some issues with engine. Let me give a little history of the vehicle first.

I bought the truck with a blown engine (overheated). Motor was a total lost cause. Got a crate engine, had the intake planed, but I forgot to ask them to magna flux it. Also had exhaust manifolds resurfaced. When priming the engine, I couldnt get a good flow of oil on the passenger side valvetrain. Drivers was gushing real well. Replaced everything that needs to be done on a new motor (sensors, ignition, belts, hoses, ect). After driving it tonight, at first the cloud of white smoke trailing me was incredible to say the least. After thinking about it, I remember putting a good half to 3/4 bottle of seafoam in fuel tank, with probaly less that 1/4 full of gas. Also had to top off radiator fluid a few times. The smoking got quite a bit better, but still bad. Oil pressure at start up is 60lbs. When warmed up well, it dips down to 25lbs. It does shoot up to about 40lbs when reving up. I have 5-30wt oil in it.

Now at idle when warmed up there is a pronounced tick coming from what sounds like the passenger side. The tick is getting progressivly louder when heard in the cab. I swear it sounds like a lifter, but mabey an exhaust leak? But just off idle the noise seems to go away. The coolant temp is right around 180-200 deg. I havent been able to check coolant level this last test drive yet as it is still too hot. Pressure checked rad, and system held 10lbs for my5 min test. All plugs look good too. Burning just right. My guesses to these issues are,

Possibly large amts of water in exhaust still from the blowen engine? It has been almost a year though since it last ran.

Lifter needing to be adjusted after running?

Any thoughts?

Sorry for the crappy posting. Im just a little concerned and tired now. I wont be able to respond till after about midnight. Night shift sucks, I need a nap!

BTW. 1990 K1500 5.7

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
i bought a gm crate engine for mine, and now it has a lifter tick then goes away. then don't hear it again til you start it up i got warrenty on it so if it gets any worse ill bring it in

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
anything in the exhaust would have been cleared almost immediately. It sounds like you got a bad engine... I'd warranty it.

Any "normal" lifter ticks should have gone away in under a minute as well... so, I see nothing but problems here.

goetso

Reaction score
Yeah where did you get this motor from?

The company is Grooms Engines out of Nashville T.N. But actualy I bought the engine from a salvage yard in S.D. Of course its not a used motor, the salvage yard is just a dealer for this company. I dont want to knock these guys yet until I find out if I screwed up or them.

I did notice the coolant is definatly being drawn out of rad, I wounder if I have a cracked intake the more I think about it, or at the least one of the dam gaskets may have slipped as I reassembled the intake on the block. These motors are so crude and vauge the way they mate components togather IMHO. I really dont want to pull this thing again. I even had to paint the block! I thought usualy these come painted already. This is definatly one of those times I just want my money back and walk away from this P.O.S. Worst case I hope I can get the intake checked and mabey adjust some valvetrain noise out!:hmm: Yea I know, wishfull thinking.

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
The company is Grooms Engines out of Nashville T.N. But actualy I bought the engine from a salvage yard in S.D. Of course its not a used motor, the salvage yard is just a dealer for this company. I dont want to knock these guys yet until I find out if I screwed up or them.

I did notice the coolant is definatly being drawn out of rad, I wounder if I have a cracked intake the more I think about it, or at the least one of the dam gaskets may have slipped as I reassembled the intake on the block. These motors are so crude and vauge the way they mate components togather IMHO. I really dont want to pull this thing again. I even had to paint the block! I thought usualy these come painted already. This is definatly one of those times I just want my money back and walk away from this P.O.S. Worst case I hope I can get the intake checked and mabey adjust some valvetrain noise out!:hmm: Yea I know, wishfull thinking.
if u have this much issue with it when it's new, it'll just get worse later. take that POS back, ou're gunna have to replace the motor anyway.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
I just know with my GM crate engine that a certified shop had to install the engine so the warrenty would not be voided.