LED headlight bulb replacement install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've been looking for a way to get away from HID conversions yet still get a nice bright white-colored light. LED's have started to get better and better, so I thought I'd try them as an experiment. I'm installing them on the '97 Suburban, in a set of TYC Elegante housings that have the "glare cap" over the end of the bulb.

LED's are allegedly Cree. They are direct-fit in the 9005 position for low beams, and a small adapter cable to hook them to the truck harness. This style has no fan in the back, which I had avoided on others as a potential failure point.
You must be registered for see images attach

Took a little grinding of the headlight housing base to clear the big heat sink. (You'll also notice the locator dowels are knocked off the base; that's what it takes to make these housings sit square in the grille.)

The core support needed minor clearancing as well. I just opened it up to match the square hole in the housing base; not much was in the way.

Side-view to give you an idea of the brightness and color. Although advertised as 6000K, they look very similar in color to my previous 35W 5000K DDM brand HID lights:

Both sides finished; passenger side took the same clearancing. Minor relocation of the headlight ground and second horn harness. Second horn still fits fine in original position between core support and battery.

All buttoned up! I threw LED corner bulbs in at this time too; still waiting on my backordered switchback LED bulbs for the turn signals.

Guess we'll see tonight how well they perform!

Richard

kkirwan71

women problems
Reaction score
Sweet write up but I have to ask what the deal is with your background on your phone in the first picture lol

Sent from my 3/4 ton iPhone

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Look very good brighter than hids?
Probably not as bright, but I find most HID's obnoxiously bright. I think so far there's only so much they can do with just 2 LED's and not go any crazier with the heatsink.

Pizza cat lmao so the twist into the housings like stock bulbs?
Yep, once you make room for 'em. The base itself is same as a 9006 halogen so it goes in the housing normally.

Richard

kkirwan71

women problems
Reaction score
Probably not as bright, but I find most HID's obnoxiously bright. I think so far there's only so much they can do with just 2 LED's and not go any crazier with the heatsink.

Yep, once you make room for 'em. The base itself is same as a 9006 halogen so it goes in the housing normally.

Richard

Do they make them for high beams? And would a constant blink (almost strobe) kill them?

Sent from my 3/4 ton iPhone

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
I'd be curious to see a side by side comparison of those housings with HIDs and LEDs. The few examples I've seen of LED swaps like this have NO cut off line at all and throw the light into a larger pattern that disperses quicker resulting in a lot less range. Basically the same thing people claim HIDs in reflectors do but a thousand times worse.

We should probably have a sticky here with the findings. Everyone I talk to seems to think LEDs are the magical fix that are as bright as HIDs but with none of the downfalls. I've also talked to way too many people without HID experience that claim they have all the downfalls I've only seen with LEDs.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Do they make them for high beams? And would a constant blink (almost strobe) kill them?
Yes, and dunno, but it would probably give you a Beavis seizure..

I'd be curious to see a side by side comparison of those housings with HIDs and LEDs. The few examples I've seen of LED swaps like this have NO cut off line at all and throw the light into a larger pattern that disperses quicker resulting in a lot less range. Basically the same thing people claim HIDs in reflectors do but a thousand times worse.

We should probably have a sticky here with the findings. Everyone I talk to seems to think LEDs are the magical fix that are as bright as HIDs but with none of the downfalls. I've also talked to way too many people without HID experience that claim they have all the downfalls I've only seen with LEDs.
I think there would be too many variables for a sticky to be useful. Different housings would be one issue, especially with so many no-name ebay specials. Different LED bulbs would be another, and again many are no-name, and the designs constantly change. A slight difference in the light sources' position in the housing is going to make a dramatic difference in the end result.

I sure hope these don't suck in terms of performance, but I'm ready to accept it if they do. I went into this purely in experimental mode, and will snatch them out if they suck. :gr_grin:

Richard

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
I can't wait to see what these look like! Between headlights from autolumination.com and these crazy expensive Silverstars I've wasted a ridiculous amount of money on headlights in this thing and I'm still not happy with them.

I need to come stalk that Suburban and see them in person sometime!