LED Gauge Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Bamf...I agree it sounds like a speedo cable. I know that on the older trucks the speedo is mechanical so that is most likely it. I would just try to gently persuade it out with a pair of needlenose pliers or something else. Have any pics of the black cord?

Hodges...np and yes I bought them on superbrightleds.com. Other sites people complained about 'hot spots' the ones from superbrightleds.com don't have any hot spots.

hquick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used the little silicone 'sock' thingies to see how it would look with all red gauges. I like it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Maybe the LED's would be brighter??

bamf93

Reaction score
Faster: I'm going to post pictures this weekend. I just recieved my precut tint & valance with fog lights. Soo after I finish installing those two, i'm move to the cluster.
Hquick: LED's would definitely be brighter. I plan on doing my cluster in red....until i come up with other crazy ideas...

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been sitting on some LEDs for roughly 3 months now. Counting down the days until I get my garage so I can work on this stuff. Excellent write-up and pictures everyone. It looks like even someone with my limited wrenching experience will have no trouble knocking out this little project. I think at least 4 of my OEM bulbs are burnt out at this point...

hquick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I noticed there were a few 'indicators' not being used in my cluster. I shone a flashlight through them and discovered there was 'Security', 'liftgate ajar', and 'upshift' arrow' and a DRL indicator (pic of a light globe....like the high beam indicator...but green instead of blue).
I got Lextech to send me a junkyard fuse panel (so I can pull the pins and use them to add fues to my panel for my stereo) and a gauge cluster socket. I pulled the pins out of the socket and inserted them into my socket so I can hook up the 'liftgate ajar' indicator and the 'DRL' indicator...which will be used to indicate that I have my spotlights/driving lights on.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used these...

Courtesy lights are also all white LEDs...

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That looks awesome. The bulbs I'm sitting on are the same ones - I even got them from the same company. Good to see a finished product of what I'll be working toward. How much work was involved on the courtesy light install?

EDIT - Also, I'm not sure if it has been mentioned yet or not, but does anyone know the bulb that I would need to replace the bulbs in my overhead console (map lights, I believe they are called)? I'm trying to get all of the burnt out bulbs replaced in one shot, and I just remembered those were bad too.

Last edited:

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How much work was involved on the courtesy light install?

Not much, really.

For the doors, get a small flathead screwdriver to pop the lenses off and then you can get to the 194 bulbs behind them.
The under dash lights are 194s also. They're in open sockets, so access is easy, but they can be tough to pry out of there.
The overhead courtesy lights are festoon bulbs. I used 4211-CW6. A small flathead will help to pop open one side of the bulb cover and then just replace the bulb.

EDIT - Also, I'm not sure if it has been mentioned yet or not, but does anyone know the bulb that I would need to replace the bulbs in my overhead console (map lights, I believe they are called)? I'm trying to get all of the burnt out bulbs replaced in one shot, and I just remembered those were bad too.

The map lights are 194s as well, but I haven't bothered with them so I'm not exactly sure how to get into them.

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not much, really.

For the doors, get a small flathead screwdriver to pop the lenses off and then you can get to the 194 bulbs behind them.
The under dash lights are 194s also. They're in open sockets, so access is easy, but they can be tough to pry out of there.
The overhead courtesy lights are festoon bulbs. I used 4211-CW6. A small flathead will help to pop open one side of the bulb cover and then just replace the bulb.

Looks like I should have just ordered about 20 of the 194s and start plugging them in everywhere. I'll do an inventory of the bulbs soon and make one more order to knock them all out.

The map lights are 194s as well, but I haven't bothered with them so I'm not exactly sure how to get into them.

That's cool. I'll give it a shot though. I'm hoping that the bulbs are shot, and it isn't bad/faulty wiring. The lights were twitchy before they died. I guess I'll figure it out. Thanks.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like I should have just ordered about 20 of the 194s and start plugging them in everywhere. I'll do an inventory of the bulbs soon and make one more order to knock them all out.

6 in the gauge cluster, 2 under the dash, 1 in each door, 2 in the front map lights and I'm not sure on the 2-door Blazers whether there's another set of map lights or not, but if there is, that's another 2.

So...

6+2+2+2(+2)=12 or (14) 194s.