Lead and Coolant(still) in Oil Analysis-Why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rogue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After having intake gaskets changed a year ago on my '97 5.7 Vortec, I decided to send an oil analysis in once I put some miles on it and a couple oil changes. I changed the oil in October with only 500 miles on it, second oil change (possibly third?) since they changed the intake gaskets. I got the result back, which is below, showing I had a tad bit high lead in it. I run Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic in it and don't drive very far with it. When I do drive, it's maybe three miles tops in a day. The oil that was used in it after the gaskets was some sort of Kendall.

What would be causing this high reading of lead in such short of time? Are my bearings going? And any thoughts that the coolant readings could be residual from the gasket change? Coolant is a hair low from what looks like an external leak, but I want to pressure test it again over winter break.

Edit: Since it won't let me upload a clip of it because the forum has changed something...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz89WRgQhBE-OFhMclNwU2VIOVE/view?usp=sharing

Second Edit: Since I figured out my Google Drive, here's the complete report with their blurb about the leadhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz89WRgQhBE-aUx2SFhwaWp5RjA/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was this after failure on the intake gaskets? Or as a preventative measure?

Rogue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was this after failure on the intake gaskets? Or as a preventative measure?

This sample was taken a year after the intake gaskets were replaced for a failure. Gaskets done October 2014, oil sample taken October 2015. Though I've barely put 3,000 miles on it since and only done a few oil changes.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gasket fail internally or externally?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Rogue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gasket fail internally or externally?

If I recall, it was a combination of both. The mechanic did a pressure test on it because it had been emptying the reservoir to almost empty in less than a week's time. They replaced the lower intake manifold gaskets, upper intake plenum gaskets, valve cover gaskets.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
My first suspscion would be bearings, is it still holding good oil pressure?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could have had some bearing damage with the coolant mixing in the oil, even if just a small amount. It's also possible that the additive pack in the oil could be attacking the bearings, given how short your OCI's are. If oil pressure is still good, I would just continue to monitor it with another analysis down the road. If the lead and coolant continue to trend, I would start looking at possible internal issues.

Rogue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could have had some bearing damage with the coolant mixing in the oil, even if just a small amount. It's also possible that the additive pack in the oil could be attacking the bearings, given how short your OCI's are. If oil pressure is still good, I would just continue to monitor it with another analysis down the road. If the lead and coolant continue to trend, I would start looking at possible internal issues.

Thanks, appreciate the advice! I was planning on sending in another sample once I hit 1,000 miles on the oil in it now....still have 500 miles to put on it to get to that point. The oil pressure is where it should be for these trucks, I just fear of having to pay for a new engine when I don't have the money until I graduate in Spring and start working full time :/

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, appreciate the advice! I was planning on sending in another sample once I hit 1,000 miles on the oil in it now....still have 500 miles to put on it to get to that point. The oil pressure is where it should be for these trucks, I just fear of having to pay for a new engine when I don't have the money until I graduate in Spring and start working full time :/

Normal protocol for excess wear metals in the engine oil is to cut the filter open and see if there are any metallics in the filter media. If there isn't anything large enough to be seen with 10x magnification, you should be OK. Filter cutters are available from Summit for $40 or so, and would last you for the rest of your days. Since you are already paying for oil analysis, this would be a good tool to add to your maintenance and diagnostic repertoire.