Large puddles getting something wet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeorgiaMudCow

Reaction score
This is the third time this has happened. Only happens when I plow thru a big puddle. Water is obviously getting on the engine and shuts off the truck. I assuming it’s getting in somewhere it’s not supposed to be. After about 10 min of sitting and cranking in between, it’s begins to fire up but definitely bogged down. She’ll eventually fire up and chug a lot until the water is gone.

Question: what is getting wet? Has anyone had this happen? What do you do to remedy the situation?

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
Assuming you have a Vortec...Crank sensor maybe? Check the connector and see if there are signs of water intrusion. If so, clean it out real well, check the connector body for cracks and seal damage and pack some dielectric grease in there if all looks good.

That said, while you're there look at all the connectors you possibly can and do the above mentioned. Also check distributor cap for water intrusion.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^What he said. An additional method, carry a can of WD40 with you, when it happens spray an area, such as the distributor, and try to start it. Then spray another area.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I vote distributor. I've had this happen to me on other vehicles and it was always either the distributor or, in the case of the 4 bangers, water would get inside the plug boot and lay down there with the plug itself.