l30 to l31 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michaelk79

Reaction score
Hello I've swapped an L31 into my 98 Chevy that had a L30 in it and now it feels like it has less power,has crappy throttle response and has trouble climbing hills now and feels like its cutting out when I push it up to speed. But every thing that was on the 305 is now on the 350 what all do I need to change to get this thing running better.

96C1500

No money, truck problems
Reaction score
Did you use the 305 computer? It might learn the 350 if you drive it around, otherwise you might need a tune. The TB might be different, idk

Sent from my Vortec powered Stratosphere

Michaelk79

Reaction score
Throttle bodies are the same I'm wondering about O2 censors,MAF and such.

inthechateau

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to have the PCM tuned for the 5.7. It is not getting enough fuel at the correct proportions. Different O2 setup, different air/fuel mix, air inlet. Would not think it makes that big a difference but you are experiencing that difference. Did you upgrade the injector unit at time of swap? Old poppet valves may be giving you a hose too. Let that thing breathe and it will run like a rapped ape.