L29 454 Cam upgrade - Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going to rebuild my 454 soon and I'm starting to gather parts now.
I plan to upgrade the cam, headers, and catback.

If I upgrade the cam, what else would I need to upgrade?

Also, can anyone recommend a good cam for towing? I'm considering either:
https://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2182&gid=289
  • Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 262/270
  • Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 211/219
  • Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .550/.550
  • LSA/ICL: 112/106
  • Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
  • RPM Range: 1400-5200
Or
http://howardscams.com/i-24076289-h...6-hydraulic-roller-1200-to-4400-camshaft.html

Any help is appreciated :cheers:

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Those both look pretty yummy, but what are the lift limitations are there with stock heads? Is this a Vortec 454 or TBI?

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going to rebuild my 454 soon and I'm starting to gather parts now.
I plan to upgrade the cam, headers, and catback.

If I upgrade the cam, what else would I need to upgrade?

Also, can anyone recommend a good cam for towing? I'm considering either:
https://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2182&gid=289
  • Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 262/270
  • Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 211/219
  • Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .550/.550
  • LSA/ICL: 112/106
  • Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
  • RPM Range: 1400-5200
Or
http://howardscams.com/i-24076289-h...6-hydraulic-roller-1200-to-4400-camshaft.html

Any help is appreciated :cheers:

The cam durations look good to me for a tow motor, the wider rpm range of the lunati is also appealing. I'm not sure that you want to go with that much valve lift though. I would keep it closer to .500" (the cam I have is .510"), I wanna say that around .540" is the limit for stock heads? Can anyone confirm this? If you look up flow numbers for the L29 heads you'll find that there isn't much to gain above .500" lift.

Either way you'll want to upgrade to adjustable rockers (comp makes a conversion kit to get to 7/16" studs).

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those both look pretty yummy, but what are the lift limitations are there with stock heads? Is this a Vortec 454 or TBI?
Vortec 454, stock heads, but idk what the stock lift limits are.

I also found some comp cams with 115 and 116 LSA, from what I've read higher LSA is good for EFI tuning and a smooth idle, but will it have adverse affects on power?

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=1576&sb=2

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If all you're going to do with the truck is tow then the first comp choice there would be good I'm sure. You are correct wide cam LSA is good for idle quality and tuning, but you'll be sacrificing some power through your rpm range. I run a 113 lsa and that idles pretty well, and that is on a mail order tune so I'm sure it could be even better. I know I saw someone else run a cam with 112 lsa in one of these motors, so you should be fine to look for one down in that range.

This one could be a good option.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Narrower LSA packs more of a midrange punch. It will sacrifice torque down around 1000 RPM, but adds more in the usable range where you tow. They fall off quicker too, which is what I'd prefer in a motor this big anyway.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If all you're going to do with the truck is tow then the first comp choice there would be good I'm sure. You are correct wide cam LSA is good for idle quality and tuning, but you'll be sacrificing some power through your rpm range. I run a 113 lsa and that idles pretty well, and that is on a mail order tune so I'm sure it could be even better. I know I saw someone else run a cam with 112 lsa in one of these motors, so you should be fine to look for one down in that range.

This one could be a good option.
I'd like a cam geared toward towing, but Idk if I want a towing only cam.
I'd like more tq throughout the rpm range, but if I could also pick up HP, that'd be bonus.
I'm stuck with a very smooth idle since CA has strict smog requirements, a lopy cam would fail.

Which cam do you have?

Narrower LSA packs more of a midrange punch. It will sacrifice torque down around 1000 RPM, but adds more in the usable range where you tow. They fall off quicker too, which is what I'd prefer in a motor this big anyway.
What range would accomplish this, 112-114?

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd like more tq throughout the rpm range, but if I could also pick up HP, that'd be bonus.
I'm stuck with a very smooth idle since CA has strict smog requirements, a lopy cam would fail.

Which cam do you have?

I really won't be able to offer much help on which aspects of the cam will help or hurt emissions, I'd call comp tech support and ask on that. The cam that I have is a little more geared to power, but it still seems to do well in the low end torque department (some day I'll dyno it so I actually know).

If I was still primarily using this truck for towing I think I'd go with one of the two below. How heavy and how often you tow would dictate the choice between the two. If all the truck does is tow then go with the xr258, otherwise the 264 would probably be a nice compromise. At least as far as selections from comp goes.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

Which cam do you have?

IIRC stock is a 118 LSA on a 115.5 ICL. I'd personally prefer to have more like a 112 LSA and a 108ish ICL. Having that ICL down in that range adds torque all over, but again shuts the fun down sooner which I'm OK with on a big block. It adds cylinder pressure and emissions, but your nose won't know.