Keys wont lock/unlock doors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old Jay

Reaction score
Hello, on my 88 silverado i am having trouble with my doors. On the driver side, the key doesnt lock or unlock the door and the only way it will open is from the inside. On the passenger side the key also doesnt unlock or lock the door but i can open it from the outside. I have manual locks if that makes a difference. I cant seem to find an answer.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First, is the key able to turn the lock at all ? in other words, is the key working the lock it self ? Can you turn the key at all ? You will need to remove the door panel to access the lock, and rods that work the lock and key cylinder, the rods, and the door latch. With the door panel removed, you can look and see if any of the linkage rods are like they should be, and in good working order. You can remove the linkage from the key cylinder, and see if the issue is in the key cylinder, or some where else. Sometimes, the rods and rod holders get corroded, and need to be cleaned, also sometimes the rod holders brake off and need to be replaced. Then there is the door latch lock itself that can become stiff from not using the lock. A little penetrating oil spray, can clean up old stiff grease.

Old Jay

Reaction score
First, is the key able to turn the lock at all ? in other words, is the key working the lock it self ? Can you turn the key at all ? You will need to remove the door panel to access the lock, and rods that work the lock and key cylinder, the rods, and the door latch. With the door panel removed, you can look and see if any of the linkage rods are like they should be, and in good working order. You can remove the linkage from the key cylinder, and see if the issue is in the key cylinder, or some where else. Sometimes, the rods and rod holders get corroded, and need to be cleaned, also sometimes the rod holders brake off and need to be replaced. Then there is the door latch lock itself that can become stiff from not using the lock. A little penetrating oil spray, can clean up old stiff grease.

When i insert the key it turns fine.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The rods are held in place with a keeper, and sometimes these keepers brake off, then the rod falls off, and when you turn the key, it does nothing, because the rod has become disconnected. Ether way, you will need to remove the door panel to fix this. With the window all the way up, you can access these rods, and find then fix the issue. Although the access may be limited, you can get inside the door to fix this. Worst case, you will need to remove the inner steel panel that the window is on to get in there, but I have worked on this before with out having to do that.

Old Jay

Reaction score
The rods are held in place with a keeper, and sometimes these keepers brake off, then the rod falls off, and when you turn the key, it does nothing, because the rod has become disconnected. Ether way, you will need to remove the door panel to fix this. With the window all the way up, you can access these rods, and find then fix the issue. Although the access may be limited, you can get inside the door to fix this. Worst case, you will need to remove the inner steel panel that the window is on to get in there, but I have worked on this before with out having to do that.

Thank you very much.