Keyless won't unlock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flattopwill

Reaction score
Bought this 97 c1500 project a few months back. Came with 1 key and no fobs. Didn't even know it had keyless until I was digging around the dash and found the oem receiver. I bought a couple fobs online. When I put the truck in program mode by linking pins 4+8 in the obd2 port the truck doesn't lock and then unlock the doors like it is supposed to. It only unlocks. I was able to program both remotes anyway but they only unlock. Will not lock. The receiver clicks when I press either the remote unlock or the unlock button on the door. When I press the remote lock button the receiver doesn't click or anything. The doors lock and unlock properly when using the button on the door. Is this a sign that the remote door lock receiver is bad?

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I dont know but gm is known for cold solder joints. this is when you have a circuit board with molten solder and stick all the components in as fast as possible before the solder cools. not all the connections will be truly bonded but they will all work for many years. until you hit a pothole one day that jolts the connection loose. lots of stuff on these trucks suffer from this. such as the wiper motor board, cruise control modules, radios, ect. since you found the receiver why dont you try reflowing the solder, especially where any plugs connect to the board as this is usually where the problems are....

Al

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Either reflow the relay contacts on the board or grab another unit from another truck - they're all plug and play 96-2000 and use the same FCCID remotes, so all you'd need to do is reprogram if you replace the module.