K2500 or K3500 Leaf Springs on a K1500? Yes or no?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay so I wanna increase how much I can haul without buying a whole new axle. I was looking at the Suspension Load helpers but I don't think they would help that much. And if I was gonna buy that I'd build them myself.

So my question, can I buy the 3/4ton or 1ton leaf springs and put them on a K1500? I'm just looking for a little extra load capacity. I'm not gonna treat it like a 3/4ton or 1ton. I just hate seeing it squat and how it ***** my suspension and gas mileage.

thanks!:rocking:

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
it will keep it from sagging for sure. however, if you have a 10b rearend... the weak point is the axle's you should upgrade to a 14b rearend also.

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
right, so you're counting the lug nuts, but on the center of the rearend, the differential cover has 10 bolts that hold it on. this is how they are commonly identified. a standard half ton rearend is not as beefy as the 14bolt which is what is in 3/4 ton trucks. if you are really looking into hauling loads that are that heavy, you should upgrade the axles at the least and the whole rearend. it's not cheap, but itll be worth it

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for that. That will help haha. So I don't confuse people anymore.
Anyway, to switch out the axles all I need to do is bleed the brakes and connect the driveshaft right? besides the obvious stuff. I'm thinking about that. But I'm still paying it off so I don't know if I will do that yet.

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
well you can swap the axle shafts, and that requires cracking the diff. not a big deal a 14b swap is fairly straight foward. but, you're likely to have trouble trying to find a 6 lug 14b. most of them are 8 lug.

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I have to I can just switch the axle. I have no problem with that. I can get leaf springs for a C2500. Would they fit a K1500? Or is it hard to tell?

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
i think they will. just make sure to measure the length of the ones you're getting but IIRC i think they will fit. they may be too wide though.... i don't recall on that swap but i think the difference is the width of the heavier spring that is different if they don't fit

92k1500chevy

Reaction score
Have you looked into just an add a leaf? I put one on my 92 half ton, raised it 3 inches and just to give you an idea of increased load capacity. It took 3/4 of a load of wood in it before it squatted back down those 3 inches. I guess it depends on how much you're looking to increase the payload. If you're running near stock size tires and aren't stupid with the throttle when you're loaded, that 10 bolt will hold up just fine. They're not as weak as many people make them out to be.