K10 vs c1500 rearends

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dangileri

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay guys and galls, ive been thinking i "need" a 4x4 for the upcoming years as i will live in a snowy area and it would make my mother be at ease with the idea of me driving in the snow to come home. (Either way im gona drive very cautiously, but i would make it a decent off road truck, and i would be okay with losing a few mpg as i wont be driving much while in college)

So the truck im looking to buy, a 83 k10 , off craigslist. The ad says it needs a rear, i figure out exactly what it needs. But heres the question. I have an extra rear to drop in. Its a 14 bolt that came out of a 92 c3500 tow truck, will it fit width wise? Im thinking i would just need to relocate shock ends, as spring perches should be close enough. Any thoughts/questions/concerns/guidance? Thank you- Dangileri

You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
The biggest problem you are gonna run into is that 99.9% of the time, the gears won't match.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Why wouldn't the gears match?? And is it srw?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Not nesicarrily the 2 I've had had 3.73s

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

98_k1500

Reaction score
If thats the case, he may get lucky. Every one i have been around had 3.08s or 2.73s or some other awful ratio to make up for no od. Even have seen one with 2.56s. It is in a 82 4x4 that originally came with a diesel. Its got a decent (Probably 320-350ish hp) 350 in it now and a regular (non granny low) 4 speed. He will need to find a 8 lug front if he wants his wheels to match, so he may have better luck finding a 3/4 or 1 ton solid axle to swap in the front with matching gears to the 8 lug axle he has to get 8 lugs all the way around. Then it won't matter what gears the truck currently has.

98_k1500

Reaction score
But to answer the original post, as far as i know, it will bolt right in. I know where a 84 k5 blazer is with a 97 z71 rear in it and it looks unmodified. Appears to have just bolted up.

dangileri

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The rear i have is 3.73 and i would have no problem regearing the front diff to match, im more concerned about the actual housing width, brakes, brackets etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk