Just Curious

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

noabarron3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have 350/5 speed that they daily? I got an amazing offer on my blazer and have my eye on another one with a five-speed but I'm just trying to get an idea of what it's like to daily a 350/5 speed. Is it a particularly firm clutch? Are they generally strong and reliable transmissions? Could it be compared to a Cummins/nv4500 (which I do have experience driving and really enjoy). Really anything y'all can offer that might give me a good idea would be appreciated.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Yea, its what I would consider a normal truck experience. Long slow throws between gears, lower than usual 1st gear but not a useless granny gear. Your not going to win any races with it and its definitely not sporty in the factory configuration but it can get better with engine mods and a short throw stick.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
My wife and I daily 350 five speed trucks. It's the only way I'd go. RichLo is on point, however, I have no plans to mod ours. I feel they're fine as is. Clutch on my wife's truck is easier to engage & use than my truck. I think her slave & clutch master cylinder are original. My stuff has been replaced and has sucked a bit more than hers ever since. However, my truck was always a bit firmer. Perhaps if you've got a truck with an external slave like we do, purchase stuff for '92 & up? Not sure if there are any differences or if I was just another victim of the Chinaexpress.

Both our trucks have the 5LM60 transmission. They're supposed to be weaker than the NV3500 and harder to rebuild due to complexity. I think mine has been rebuilt. Wife's truck has what sounds like a death rattle if you start out too strong or if you dig your foot in the throttle below 1,000 rpm. Hers also has a bit of a howl or groan in any gear except direct or OD. My truck only has a hint of the death rattle and none of the groan, why I suspect mine has been rebuilt. Her counter & input shaft's bearings must be getting worn or it was allowed to run low on oil.. However, neither leak fluid and hers hasn't scattered like a jigsaw puzzle thrown into the wind. She's put 15k on it over two years this way and it's got a total of 215k and 29 years on it. So I'd say they're pretty durable. Both still shift and feel great. I beat on 'em both from time to time too. For safety sake, I wait until her's is above 1000rpm before I trample the throttle. We've taken both on road trips close to 1000 miles, transmission concerns were least of our thoughts.

Last edited:

noabarron3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
Yea, its what I would consider a normal truck experience. Long slow throws between gears, lower than usual 1st gear but not a useless granny gear. Your not going to win any races with it and its definitely not sporty in the factory configuration but it can get better with engine mods and a short throw stick.

My wife and I daily 350 five speed trucks. It's the only way I'd go. RichLo is on point, however, I have no plans to mod ours. I feel they're fine as is. Clutch on my wife's truck is easier to engage & use than my truck. I think her slave & clutch master cylinder are original. My stuff has been replaced and has sucked a bit more than hers ever since. However, my truck was always a bit firmer. Perhaps if you've got a truck with an external slave like we do, purchase stuff for '92 & up? Not sure if there are any differences or if I was just another victim of the Chinaexpress.

Both our trucks have the 5LM60 transmission. They're supposed to be weaker than the NV3500 and harder to rebuild due to complexity. I think mine has been rebuilt. Wife's truck has what sounds like a death rattle if you start out too strong or if you dig your foot in the throttle below 1,000 rpm. Hers also has a bit of a howl or groan in any gear except direct or OD. My truck only has a hint of the death rattle and none of the groan, why I suspect mine has been rebuilt. Her counter & input shaft's bearings must be getting worn or it was allowed to run low on oil.. However, neither leak fluid and hers hasn't scattered like a jigsaw puzzle thrown into the wind. She's put 15k on it over two years this way and it's got a total of 215k and 29 years on it. So I'd say they're pretty durable. Both still shift and feel great. I beat on 'em both from time to time too. For safety sake, I wait until her's is above 1000rpm before I trample the throttle. We've taken both on road trips close to 1000 miles, transmission concerns were least of our thoughts.