Joining the 4L60E Club

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Armalite15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just over 181,000 miles my 4L60E started whining in 2nd gear and grinding in reverse. That wouldn't be terrible but actually when I bought the truck the transmission had already been rebuilt at 97693 miles. While it's been being rebuilt I had them replace the valve cover and intake gaskets(coolant leak) and change the oil. I believe the orignal rebuild was due to the previous owner towing a fifth wheel trailer with the truck as it has never had an under bumper hitch mounted but did have fifth wheel mount holes in the bed. The last rebuild was 3/07 and cost $1808.68 parts and labor, guess I'll find tomorrow what it will cost me.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just had mine rebuilt with H D master rebuild kit. Corvette servos, hardened sun shell, new torque converter. They also added a shift kit and turned the line pressure up. Well it was to much for the trans, and my lead foot. I blew it again. So this time, they redid it all but left out the shift kit, and put the line pressure back to OE. Its been 1 week since I got it back out of the trans shop. They gave me a 24 month, 24,000 mile warranty. They did all of the work. I just brought the truck there and handed over my keys, both times. It cost me $2800 the first time, and nothing the second time.

96TahoeDoug

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Time to service mine. 97k on a 96. How can one tell when the converter hits lockup and runs coolest? Is it that cruising sweet spot like 1500 rpm at 65mph kinda just purrs?

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Its set to hot lock up around 45 MPH on light throttle. I never feel mine do that. LOL but of course, I dont drive on light throttle very much. I really notice it at WOT at around 80 MPH. Its almost like it hits another gear in OD. If you really pay close attention, you should notice a slight difference at 46.

Armalite15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well looks like $2300 for the intake and valve cover gaskets and oil change and the trans rebuild so I believe he gave me a pretty good deal.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well looks like $2300 for the intake and valve cover gaskets and oil change and the trans rebuild so I believe he gave me a pretty good deal.
Yes, that a very good price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahuskwulf