Joined the club! Meet my ‘98 454 K2500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spacklesworth

Reaction score
Welcome!

Having worked on a few of the 3/4 suburban's and now my k2500 truck which is essentially the same thing firewall forward, here are a few tips for working on the 3/4 tons:

- map gas/ yellow bottle. pick one up at your local hardware store! even being in CA / no to little rust these trucks are just heavier and everything tends to take a little more oomph to loosen
- HD jack stands: heavy truck, again with 454 so I use 6 ton jacks and brace with 4 jacks no matter the job
- hubs: the 4 bolts are very stubborn and its easy to round off the 15mm head plus corrosion gets under the head and knuckle... PB blast a few days before and map gas where the threads enter the knuckle and then quickly hit with impact to break loose... replace with 4 new bolts and light anti seize.
- oil leaks: looks like some were addressed by PO but there always seems to be weepage around oil pan gasket and oil cooler lines. IMHO its worth taking the time to drop the diff, brake clean around and take your time setting gasket for oil pan... if its doesnt mark its spot its not a OBS! haha
- check motor mounts and tranny mounts for degraded rubber/ splits... the k2500 series kinda ride like dump trucks and there are a lot of vibes and torque that goes into both these mounts
- MPG: not much to say here but i did get a good boost in torque and movement with a basic black bear tune... worth looking into
- warm starts/ hesitation and fuel related issues: stock injectors are notablly weak and will go out... good time to address FPR as well
- distributor: known for worn gears... worth inspecting if any start issues occur

Enjoy! Once of the best platforms GM ever came out with and yes they are easy to work on- just take your time as there is a lot of mass in the air!
Thanks! Question on your second to last point, what’s FPR?