Is there a simple ECU re-map for a stock 1997 7.4L/454?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slovcan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello, how is the recovery going? Did you ever get the tune installed and what were your results?

Hi Smoky,

Recovery is coming along. On a cane now and doing physio a few times/week.

Yes, got the tuned PCM put in from Black Bear Perf. Awesome. It's like the truck lost a thousand pounds. Revs freer, shifts great at 5000 RPM - shorter shift intervals (quicker changing from 1>2, 2>3, etc. - quick firm shifts).

They corrected my speedometer, BUT I misunderstood the meaning of that service. I gave them my tire size thinking they would correct the actual error, but they set it back to the factory installed error (for me that's indicating 117 km/h at actual 100 km/h). I've been trying to work with them to get that fixed, but their email responses are poor. I think they've just stopped talking to me now. I found someone here who tunes with an HP Tuner who could fix the speedometer, but he's afraid to touch it and screw up the tune. Anybody know what tuner Black Bear uses?

Cheers,
Glenn

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anybody know what tuner Black Bear uses?

As I mentioned on the first page, my best guess would be TunerCAT/JET DST. Like I said, it's just a guess but that's the only software I'm aware of that does the '96-'97 black box PCMs.

smokymtn65

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have to get in gear and get this truck up and going, to many projects don't get to spend enough time on it.

slovcan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As I mentioned on the first page, my best guess would be TunerCAT/JET DST. Like I said, it's just a guess but that's the only software I'm aware of that does the '96-'97 black box PCMs.

Yes, you did and I forgot. Looks like I have to wait for a cluster to appear in unicornland.

slovcan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi Smoky,

Recovery is coming along. On a cane now and doing physio a few times/week.

Yes, got the tuned PCM put in from Black Bear Perf. Awesome. It's like the truck lost a thousand pounds. Revs freer, shifts great at 5000 RPM - shorter shift intervals (quicker changing from 1>2, 2>3, etc. - quick firm shifts).

They corrected my speedometer, BUT I misunderstood the meaning of that service. I gave them my tire size thinking they would correct the actual error, but they set it back to the factory installed error (for me that's indicating 117 km/h at actual 100 km/h). I've been trying to work with them to get that fixed, but their email responses are poor. I think they've just stopped talking to me now. I found someone here who tunes with an HP Tuner who could fix the speedometer, but he's afraid to touch it and screw up the tune. Anybody know what tuner Black Bear uses?

Cheers,
Glenn

Well, wouldn't you know it? Black Bear wrote me today saying it is a pretty fine calculation in the PCM involving driveshaft rotations. He said he would try to adjust it but was concerned the ABS computer would throw a fit because such a large adjustment is required.

So, they haven't given up on me, but are just slow with emails. Maybe too busy doing the actual work.

Thoughts on the ABS computer risk?

Thanks,
Glenn