Is there a simple ECU re-map for a stock 1997 7.4L/454?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slovcan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My stock 1997 K2500 had the engine overhauled about 50,000 kms ago. The previous owner had all his work done by the selling dealer he bought it from new. That dealer sent the engine out for overhaul. It runs great and does not leak.

From what I have read the dealer must have replaced the injectors because at the current 279,000 kms they don't leak. Since it was dealer maintained, I'm betting they were the new OEM injectors, not Bosch. I have not looked to see.

It still has the complete original exhaust. I would like to replace the muffler since people say it is restrictive. I can't find any suitable 2.75" dual inlet/single outlet muffler so, I guess it will have to be a dual inlet/dual outlet muffler and add a parallel mid- and tailpipe. Or stack two single inlet/outlet mufflers vertically in place of the original. I don't want it loud, though.

So, with all this in mind, is there a re-mapped ECU available that I can plug 'n' play to wake it up a bit while leaving everything else alone? No, I don't want to go moving wire pin locations around to put in an LS ECU.

I have read a lot of the 100,000 pages here about ECU's and mufflers and injectors and and and. I can't find any that only refer to a LITTLE bit of gain while staying stock otherwise.

Thanks guys,
Glenn

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Being a 97 it's not supported by EFILive or HPTuners. I believe there are still tuners who can do the older 96-97 blackboxes, but I'm not sure who. There is a bit of juice locked up in the stock tune no matter which PCM you use. It won't turn into a race car, but it will respond more to less throttle.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
X2 for Black Bear Performance, they tuned my red '97. Great people to work with.

I believe Nelson Performance and a few others can also do the '96-'97 black box PCMs. Pretty sure JET DST/TunerCat is the software they all use to do so.

slovcan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
X2 for Black Bear Performance, they tuned my red '97. Great people to work with.

I believe Nelson Performance and a few others can also do the '96-'97 black box PCMs. Pretty sure JET DST/TunerCat is the software they all use to do so.

Right on, thank you. I just sent Black Bear Performance a message.

Cheers,
Glenn

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a dual 3" in single 3" out magna flow on my Suburban that is starting to fall apart and the packing is probably toast but it is pretty tame and very little drone. It does have a nice rumble to it but it doesn't piss of the neighbors.
It is however nearly 2' long which I'm sure helps keep it quiet. I actually have a dual 3" in/out Gibson that I'll be replacing it with as soon as I can get it to an exhaust shop.
I'll report back on the difference.

Also another plus one for black bear, they turned the 0411 that I haven't been able to install yet, their customer service is top notch though.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

slovcan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a dual 3" in single 3" out magna flow on my Suburban that is starting to fall apart and the packing is probably toast but it is pretty tame and very little drone. It does have a nice rumble to it but it doesn't piss of the neighbors.
It is however nearly 2' long which I'm sure helps keep it quiet. I actually have a dual 3" in/out Gibson that I'll be replacing it with as soon as I can get it to an exhaust shop.
I'll report back on the difference.

Also another plus one for black bear, they turned the 0411 that I haven't been able to install yet, their customer service is top notch though.

Thanks! Yeah, curious about the Gibson. I hate packing in any muffler. It is only there to burn out and make you buy another muffler. AND Gibson may have the "bolt in" replacement for mine that I was looking for https://www.bolomotorsports.com/col...muffler-3-dual-in-4-out-by-gibson-performance . Granted, I'd have to neck down the 4" outlet to the existing 2.75"-3" mid- & tailpipe.

Cheers,
Glenn

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah, curious about the Gibson. I hate packing in any muffler. It is only there to burn out and make you buy another muffler. AND Gibson may have the "bolt in" replacement for mine that I was looking for https://www.bolomotorsports.com/col...muffler-3-dual-in-4-out-by-gibson-performance . Granted, I'd have to neck down the 4" outlet to the existing 2.75"-3" mid- & tailpipe.

Cheers,
Glenn
That Gibson looks perfect, kind of bummed I didn't find it myself, though it is $100 more than the 3" dual in/dual out I picked up.

slovcan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That Gibson looks perfect, kind of bummed I didn't find it myself, though it is $100 more than the 3" dual in/dual out I picked up.

Yeah, I thought so. Then I discovered they wanted over $300 shipping! Then I found a Canadian Gibson dealer, but their price is $150 higher even after the USD-CAD conversion. I'll keep looking. No rush. Oh, it seems like it might be loud, too, which I'm not really a fan of - mellow and throaty, but not aggressively loud is more for me.

Cheers.