Is there a simple ECU re-map for a stock 1997 7.4L/454?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the black bear tune on my 96 k2500 7.4 vortec and opted for a soft/ mild transmission tune and sent them my performance specs with JBL shorty ceramic coated headers + duals through a magnaflow muffler and it was the cherry on top to tying all mods together. Highly recommended like the other have stated! Order online and then send back your black box for the core = no down time!

slovcan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the black bear tune on my 96 k2500 7.4 vortec and opted for a soft/ mild transmission tune and sent them my performance specs with JBL shorty ceramic coated headers + duals through a magnaflow muffler and it was the cherry on top to tying all mods together. Highly recommended like the other have stated! Order online and then send back your black box for the core = no down time!

Thank you all! My Black Bear PCM is ordered. Mine is bone stock and looking forward to a noticeable uptick in HP & TQ along with quicker upshift gear engagement and finally an accurate speedometer.

Cheers,
Glenn

slovcan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Black Bear PCM is here - 2-3 weeks for cross-border post is pretty fast these days. Unfortunately, I took a bad fall and broke my broken leg some more so it'll be a few weeks at best before I can get the truck to the shop for the ABS sensors and PCM. It would be a couple of months before I could do it myself.

RichardSwinger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Black Bear PCM is here - 2-3 weeks for cross-border post is pretty fast these days. Unfortunately, I took a bad fall and broke my broken leg some more so it'll be a few weeks at best before I can get the truck to the shop for the ABS sensors and PCM. It would be a couple of months before I could do it myself.
Man I'm really sorry to hear that. I am in a similar situation with hernia surgery complications/pains and it's really putting a damper on all the little projects I want to tackle on my 1998 454. I was waiting to hear how that Blackbear box turned out as I plan on going the exact same route. I know re-injuring stuff can be absolutely soul crushing. Nothing in this life is by chance my friend, I will pray for a speedy recovery!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Healing takes FOREVER. Was on crutches for 10 weeks starting last November. Total asspain and very tempting at times to violate doctor's orders. Did you have a fall in the snow/ice slov?

slovcan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man I'm really sorry to hear that. I am in a similar situation with hernia surgery complications/pains and it's really putting a damper on all the little projects I want to tackle on my 1998 454. I was waiting to hear how that Blackbear box turned out as I plan on going the exact same route. I know re-injuring stuff can be absolutely soul crushing. Nothing in this life is by chance my friend, I will pray for a speedy recovery!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Healing takes FOREVER. Was on crutches for 10 weeks starting last November. Total asspain and very tempting at times to violate doctor's orders. Did you have a fall in the snow/ice slov?

Thanks guys. It started back in July when I got creamed on my motorcycle. I was almost better - maybe another 2 months of physiotherapy - when I slipped on a spot of ice. Instinct kicked in, but my leg wasn't strong enough to recover I went down bending everything the wrong way.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys. It started back in July when I got creamed on my motorcycle. I was almost better - maybe another 2 months of physiotherapy - when I slipped on a spot of ice. Instinct kicked in, but my leg wasn't strong enough to recover I went down bending everything the wrong way.

That blows. Which leg? My lucky ******* friend had foot surgery. Left foot surgery. Driving in a boot is a PITA! Best of luck. What's the timeframe now?

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Speedy recovery! Sorry to hear... anything that hinders mobility is tough- stay with it, listen to the docs and eat as well as possible. The body is a pretty cool machine.

slovcan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks SC111 and Aparke4. Yeah, sucks. Left/clutch leg. That's why the truck became a daily driver this year - well, much earlier than the usual 4x4 winter driver. Car is a manual. Yes, good food but not too much of it. Exercise, too. Started that already. Knee immobilizer, no cast. Already had the titanium rod keeping my bone in place.

smokymtn65

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks SC111 and Aparke4. Yeah, sucks. Left/clutch leg. That's why the truck became a daily driver this year - well, much earlier than the usual 4x4 winter driver. Car is a manual. Yes, good food but not too much of it. Exercise, too. Started that already. Knee immobilizer, no cast. Already had the titanium rod keeping my bone in place.

Hello, how is the recovery going? Did you ever get the tune installed and what were your results?