Is there a mod to run 3157 brake and turn together

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just lien the high and low beam mod for the headlights . Is there a simple way to make both the 3157 Running and brake ligh bulbs to work simultaneously another words when you brake both the bulbs light up besides the lower bulb and when you blink both are blinking. For more output . Would this be a wiring tap in from the brake light wires to the running wires and just eliminate the running light wires ?
How can this be done or has it so to speak ?

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably not “simple”, you’ll likely need a diode on the running light so you don’t activate the front turn signals when you hit the brakes.

Toyota and I think Subaru guys run a turn-4-tail module. (It’s something like that, Google will know what you mean) that might be something to look into.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

^^ this guy has excellent wiring videos

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You mean the tail lights? You want both the top bulb (the marker light) and the actual brake/t-sig bulb to flash when you activate the brake/turn-sig?
No. The tail lights circuit boards aren't able to be rewired.

Lance 1992

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just looked at this myself. I don't have a solution but I think think A97obs is on the right track with running the brake light signal to the top light. I tried a jumper between the two and it didn't work, but it was quick and I don't know if the jumper was making good contact. As Nad_Yvalhosert mentioned, you can't rewire the circuit board, but you could avoid that by making a change before the signal gets to the circuit board.

Why don't they run that way by default? You'd have backup brake and turn signal bulbs.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you wanting a three bulb system, instead of a two bulb?
As having a separate bulb for the turn signal than the brake bulb?
The brake/ turn is the higher intensity ( brighter ) filament for daylight operation. The parking running light , less brightness is akin to indentification. Different light intensity at the same time ? Why?
I'm sure if you asked an electrical engineer he could make it work for you. At what cost? At what complexity, rewire, relay's, diodes?
Didn't the overseas version have a three light, amber turn signal already?

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't the overseas version have a three light, amber turn signal already?

Yes, using a different, 5-wire harness instead of 4-wire, and a completely different circuit board. AFAIK these were used in the South America and Australia markets.

Attachments

• Taillight.jpg
    Taillight.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 8
  • Taillight detail.jpg
    Taillight detail.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Right side circuit board back new GM Brazil Arteb.jpg
    Right side circuit board back new GM Brazil Arteb.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Of course without a circuit board, you can do whatever you want, loose wiring. But isn't that secondary to what your circuit modification will be.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What if you were to switch over to the Anzo lights that don’t use a circuit board, then modify the wiring?

That was an initial thought . I had the Anzos liked them a lot!

TBH this is all for the purposes of gaining more led output on my
All clear diffused type tail lense
“ the all clears” The output isn’t to bad
Im running 3157 leds with the projector style led …But it’s still not enough imho. I love the Clear lenses , but unless I can get a super super bright red LED 3157 lol kind of like the ambulances use ….
“maybe not that bright “ but close . Or else I’m gonna have to go back to a LED or anzo tail lense. I Know the clears are a 90s thing and allot of guys on the slammed trucks run them religiously. But I’ve never heard of a good way to intensify the light out put on a clear lense.

All in all …I feel like finding a way better 3157 led the brightest they come would be sufficient. The night time Brake lightoutput is fine it’s the day time driving that’s iffy with clear lenses

I did run into a topic on this forum of someone who someway rewired the circuit boards and I think used a 3357 but he never gave feedback on the long term of it….