Intermittent trouble starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyjack

Reaction score
Hello, trying to figure out an issue been going on for past couple weeks. My 98 didnt start one morning. I always turn the key to hear fuel pump turn on and then I hit the starter it nothing. It just clicked. I popped hood just to see what battery looked like. Didnt touch anything got back in and it started. But when it started it was idling extremely low, 300-400 rpm. Had to give it gas to keep it running. Pull out of driveway get up to 3rd gear, and get to the stop sign and it is idling perfect. After work same problem with idling low. Then after a minute of driving its fine. Then I go about 2 weeks with not one issue. And then it happened again today. I turned key on, hear the fuel pump, then I hit starter and nothing. Turn everything back off, and turn it again and it started immediately, idled low again. Any thoughts.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the battery cables and terminals, make sure they're clean and tight.

When it's doing this, do you always hear the solenoid click? Do the accessories (dash lights, air, radio, etc) come on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How old is your battery? It can read 12+ volts all day long with a meter but the cranking amps could be very low. I'd get your battery tested to just to be sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

chevyjack

Reaction score
Battery is 2 years old. Got it tested at o'reilly's and it was good. Terminals are clean, and tight. And yes I can hear the solenoid click, all lights, radio gauges work, when I turn the key on. But when I experience the problem I hear the click and then everything stops working until I turn the key all the way back to just turn radio on. When it is happening I do this two or 3 times then it will start.