Intermittent shutoff problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve had this pickup about 14 months now. It’s recently developed a very intermittent shutoff problem. It’s always right after starting it, and it will always immediately restart. It’s only done it 4 times over about 2 months. No codes on the scanner. All grounds have been double checked. Is there a way to diagnose the ignition switch or should I just replace it?

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
I’ve had this pickup about 14 months now. It’s recently developed a very intermittent shutoff problem. It’s always right after starting it, and it will always immediately restart. It’s only done it 4 times over about 2 months. No codes on the scanner. All grounds have been double checked. Is there a way to diagnose the ignition switch or should I just replace it?

Sounds like mine.... Did it again the other day. Driving down the road and just like to turned the key off. Fired up while coasting and away you go! Hard to fix something that's not broken!

Ken

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score

Is this behavior is on a cold start? Or after it's already hot?

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
Is this behavior is on a cold start? Or after it's already hot?

Mine has never done it cold. Always running down the road. Completely random. That I can see none of the shut downs had anything in common except the engine was completely warm.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
That's a tough one...This could be a bunch of different things. Trying to give ideas without the parts-cannon approach!

Wiggling the ignition switch would be the easiest way to make sure that isn't the problem. I know it sounds silly, but you don't let the key switch "snap" back after cranking, do you? ...Witnessed it before and gotta ask. :D

Best guess from me would say check your fuel pressure next, if that's good it might be the oil pressure switch or positive power related. I had both of these problems before, but I don't want to lead you on a wild goose chase.

@kenh : Yours almost sounds ignition related or power related? Spitballin' here...I've heard defective ignition modules getting hot sometimes zap out while cruising down the road. You guys got the tough problems!

I also had a bad fusible link once on a Vortec truck. If the computer loses power for a second, it stalls and all the dash lights come on. Restarts like nothing happened.

Tried to keep it short unless you want more details. Hope you guys figure it out!