Intake Manifold Question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xx94Z71xx

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys. new to the forums. liking some of the post i have read so far. i do have a question i hope someone can answer.

the motor in my 94 finally kicked the bucket. I am in the process of rebuilding a .030 350 to replace the tired 350 currently in it. the block im using is out of a 70 Nova, and i will be using a set of 217 heads i have that are in nice shape. they are iron and center bolt, but have the old style pre 87 intake bolt pattern with the 2 center ones being different. i have a oldschool edelbrock performer intake sitting on the shelf i can use with the heads. I also have found an adapter plate to convert 4 barrel intake to TBI.

Has anyone ever done this? i know it would need some modifications for vacuum lines and such which im not too worried about. the manifold doesnt have EGR so would i need to get my computer flashed or will it still run ok with the light on? im more used to working on carbed vehicles. My other vehicle is a 73 Nova.

any input is appreciated!

btw i have already upgraded the fuel pump to a 255lph 17psi External in line pump.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
the manifold doesnt have EGR so would i need to get my computer flashed or will it still run ok with the light on?

It'll run, but there will be a possibility of pinging at part throttle. You're going to want to have EGR tuned out of the PCM.

xx94Z71xx

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok whats the easiest way to get this done? i dont mind investing some money into a way to program it myself as long as its not too expensive. i am computer savy enough to figure it out. or is it easier to buy a new computer or send mine out?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi guys. new to the forums. liking some of the post i have read so far. i do have a question i hope someone can answer.

the motor in my 94 finally kicked the bucket. I am in the process of rebuilding a .030 350 to replace the tired 350 currently in it. the block im using is out of a 70 Nova, and i will be using a set of 217 heads i have that are in nice shape. they are iron and center bolt, but have the old style pre 87 intake bolt pattern with the 2 center ones being different. i have a oldschool edelbrock performer intake sitting on the shelf i can use with the heads. I also have found an adapter plate to convert 4 barrel intake to TBI.

Has anyone ever done this? i know it would need some modifications for vacuum lines and such which im not too worried about. the manifold doesnt have EGR so would i need to get my computer flashed or will it still run ok with the light on? im more used to working on carbed vehicles. My other vehicle is a 73 Nova.

any input is appreciated!

btw i have already upgraded the fuel pump to a 255lph 17psi External in line pump.

Stock TBI intake should bolt to those 217s. Those are marine heads very similar to the 083 TPI 350 heads.

Spookers

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've put a 4 barrel manifold on and then used the 454 tbi adapter and ran no egr without issues. I did that because I had planned on eventually going to a carb.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a huge text-and-photo document (17 pages) about rebuilding a Vortec short-block, then converting my K1500 to aftermarket heads and a ZZ4-style intake manifold, while retaining all the emissions controls. I'll post it after I get the length cut down. I'm not good at editing my own writing.

It's do-able, but not fun.

Keeping the stock EGR valve is the worst part. I had to fabricate an adapter to go onto a purchased adapter that allows the OEM EGR to clear the IAC.

MarkZ28

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I removed my egr from my 89, I remove it from all my vehicles or at least disable it. Never had anything but a check engine light on if it was an 81 and newer. Even then it didnt always set it off. It does on my 89. Im going carb on mine sometime anyway. Putting cheap chinese aluminum big port heads and converting to a 4150 650 cfm mechanical secondary carb. Getting rid of all computer crap and going to a much simpler easier to work on old school set up. I wish Chevy would have gone port injection like Ford and Mopar instead of the junk tbi garbage. Be worth keeping injection then.

MarkZ28

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, flywheels will need to be swapped, the older 70 2 piece flywheel bolt pattern is different than your one piece rear main seal bolt pattern.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I removed my egr from my 89, I remove it from all my vehicles or at least disable it. Never had anything but a check engine light on if it was an 81 and newer. Even then it didnt always set it off. It does on my 89. Im going carb on mine sometime anyway. Putting cheap chinese aluminum big port heads and converting to a 4150 650 cfm mechanical secondary carb. Getting rid of all computer crap and going to a much simpler easier to work on old school set up. I wish Chevy would have gone port injection like Ford and Mopar instead of the junk tbi garbage. Be worth keeping injection then.
I don't have words for this.