Installing a 3rd Row Suburban Dome Light in a Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoCascio_Inc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always wondered why the trucks kept the same flat dome light from 88-98 but the Suburbans got the much nicer ones with the 95+ interiors. FYI, the 3rd row Suburban light has a taller bezel than the middle light and will sit completely flush to the Silverado headliner whereas the middle one will not.

Both eras of dome lights function identically but the Suburban fixtures have three wires (orange, white, and black) and the Silverado has two (orange and white). After inspecting how the Silverado fixture is designed and testing the Suburban fixture with a 9v battery I concluded you simply connect the orange and white wires together, and ground the black wire to the metal cab via one of the mounting screws. These pics should explain:

You must be registered for see images attach

Mounts to the existing holes in the cab and functions perfectly. Looks super factory and I couldn't be happier. I replaced all the bulbs with LEDs while I was at it.

Don't look at my disgusting sun visors though. If anyone has some tan visors in good condition let me know...

Viru

Reaction score
How did you replace the map light bulbs in the Suburban fixture? I've been unable to get the light out in the same way as the front ones (push in and twist), and it doesn't even look like the lens is the same as the front ones.

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting. The third (cargo area) light on the Tahoe was always the old flush style through the end of production. I guess this would probably fit there as well.

LoCascio_Inc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How did you replace the map light bulbs in the Suburban fixture? I've been unable to get the light out in the same way as the front ones (push in and twist), and it doesn't even look like the lens is the same as the front ones.

They’re tricky but they push in and twist as well. I was confused at first but sacrificed the middle row fixture from the donor Suburban to completely disassemble It and figure how it went together before breaking the 3rd row fixture.

FYI- The LEDs I bought required trimming the reflective housings to fit.

Viru

Reaction score
They’re tricky but they push in and twist as well. I was confused at first but sacrificed the middle row fixture from the donor Suburban to completely disassemble It and figure how it went together before breaking the 3rd row fixture.

FYI- The LEDs I bought required trimming the reflective housings to fit.

You're right - I gave them another shot and it worked! I spent so long trying to use a flathead screwdriver I forgot how to use my fingers LOL. Thanks for the pointer!

Side note: I use these waterproof COB chip lights, they're no larger than filament ones, which avoids fitment issues.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're right - I gave them another shot and it worked! I spent so long trying to use a flathead screwdriver I forgot how to use my fingers LOL. Thanks for the pointer!

Side note: I use these waterproof COB chip lights, they're no larger than filament ones, which avoids fitment issues.

You happen to have a link to those LEDs? I have no immediate need for them but I've never seen that design before and it's pretty interesting.