Install bench seat in a 1990 454SS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spistols

Reaction score
I know, this seems sacrilegious, but my teenage son wants a bench seat, temporarily in his '90 454SS. This way, he can drive 2 of his best friends to school, vs. only 1.

What modern seat, since finding a decent red bench from an '88-'98 is hard to find in good condition, will work? Also, what is recommended on the seat belt setup for the middle seat?

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Honestly most bench seats can be made to work fairly easy might have to drill some new holes also luck kid with that as a high school truck!!

sent from my outdated S3

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Any GMT400 bench will bolt in. No need to drill holes. Actually, the opposite. Have to plug the inner holes from the buckets next to the tunnel.
You could grab the middle set of belts from the donor, but they are ponied up with the latched ends for the outers. I'd get the inner set & the outer latched ends which come through the seat from the donor. They are encased in a plastic cover, grouped together. It'll make the install easier. If you can't get those latched ends that come through the seat from the donor, you may (may!) need to use a longer bolt to attach them to the floor. If you get some that are the same color as what's in the truck now, the outside belts that attach to the B-pillar won't have to changed. That is, unless it bothers you that they are a different color.
Early benches, pre-'95, are sooooo much more comfortable than the later benches with the three scooped backrest sections! The later seats have to be the most uncomfortable ones ever designed by GM! The '88/'89 benches did not have headrests.
Do not, do not, do not use the bench seat with the little driver side flip down armrest! Absolutely no!!!
If you find one of those, you MUST send it to me!
Consider that the cost of this info! LOL!!!

Or...

If your son REALLY likes the bench, (he will!) and you find that storing those buckets is a Royal PITA, 'cause dammit, they're just in the way, I'd willing to offer FREE storage for as long as required, for the one time charge of the shipping costs to me!
Gotta remember though, Canada Customs agents are 'power trippers' & they can be fussy about things like this leaving the country, so it may take a while to get them back to you!!!

spistols

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Good info. Probably will hold onto the buckets for now. They look so good with a 5 speed stick between them! No more auto for this 454SS!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Haha! I was just bugging you about the buckets. Do NOT get rid of them. They are 454SS specific! Ultra rare, super hard to find!!!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Whoah...so surprised to see someone else finally come out and say the older seats are way better than 95-up! To me the 95-up seats are whack..

Richard

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I like to drive, & those newer model benches had me looking for a chiropracter after a measly 50 miles!
THE most uncomfortable seat I've sat in. Even worse than Mopar seats!

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Not to mention alost every single 95+ drivers seat is ripped