Inside panel rust prevention

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any of you drill holes and squirt/spray behind doors, in door jam/rockers to protect inside of these areas? Tips, products used? Just bought this super clean tahoe out of AZ and want to protect it long term.. Thanks

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Never done that, but it has crossed my mind I think it's a good idea and I don't see any harm in doing it if you plug the holes you make. I have always used rust oleum rust reformer in the spray. I think it does a good job, no complaints.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Most rust proofing places drill the rockers, spray whatever they are using and then put plastic plugs in.

I get the truck "Krown-ed" every fall.

when I get home I just pull interior panels and spray/pour whatever rustproofing oil strikes my fancy that year. Gets the spots they miss.

Then make sure the panel drains stay clear all year.

Frame and exterior is easy. Spray, spray, spray......

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
I sprayed the inside of my doors 2 years ago when I was repainted. Now I have rust coming back around the drain holes. I used 20W50 because it was thick. I guess I didn't do it right.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I sprayed the inside of my doors 2 years ago when I was repainted. Now I have rust coming back around the drain holes. I used 20W50 because it was thick. I guess I didn't do it right.

Straight oil needs to be reapplied every 6-8 months.

It drains off the vertical surface and leave it exposed to oxygen and water.

Products meant to rust protect have a sort of "gelling agent" that makes em hang on longer.

Still has to be done every year or so though.

The battle against rust is never ending.....

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Well, I said I didn't do it right, and now I know where I went wrong. Thanks.

Come the nicer weather, my son has some work ahead of him, I'll find something else to try.

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just amsolied hd the whole undercarriage, think im drilling to do the inner panels.. Read a lot of great posts on this. Guys swear by process who've done it.