In need of whole new exhaust, would like opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I was looking at my exhaust the other day while changing my oil and the exhaust is like swiss cheese from the muffler back. So I decided that I just wanted to change it all, headers to the tailpipes. right now it is stock until it gets to the cherry bomb glasspack then it has a y pipe directly after then exits straight out the back. I want to replace it with hooker long tubes with magnaflow mufflers but my question is how to run it down the truck and what size piping to use. I need cats for emissions, but should I just run 2 cats after the headers to get around the transfercase and all the 4x4 parts then into an X pipe into dual mufflers and out the back? or find a y pipe to fit the long tubes and get around the 4x4 stuff, 1 cat 1 muffler and out the back? the truck may end up with a lift after a couple years but will most likely stay a fairly stock motor. Thanks for the help

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
if you've got a 4wd, i'd go with a 2.5 dual. everyone says you'll loose power, but meh. if you go w a ypipe and one cat one ****.... go up to 3" exhaust.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Yep 2.25 or 2.5" duals or a 3" single system should suit your needs. If you take it to a shop and them about building the mid-pipe for you they may be able to recommend whether it will be easier/cheaper to go with a single or dual system