igntition switch help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hightower

Reaction score
Hey guys im needing a little help. Recently in my 97 K1500 ive been going through ignition switches. Got one from a junkyard lasted 3 years. A BWD brand from Advance auto that lasted 8 months took it back under warranty and this one lasted a month and 3 days... it has a 90 day warranty so ill get yet another one. My qusetions is are these BWD brands junk from advance? This is the highest one they have they dont carry acdelco. Or do i have another problem going on? Truck has 336k miles but i have never added anythin electrical to the ignition switch. Is there a relay i can add or something if another one goes out to save some $$$ on a new one? It doesnt go completely out i can cycle the key couple times and get it to work seems like the turning mech in the ignition switch is going out. Any help?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Haven't had much experience with them going out so frequently but as far as BWD goes I don't trust them for anything. Over 20 years ago their quality started to slide when they began offering separate lines, "select" and regular, now it's all crap IMO and has been for years. I don't use them for sensors or anything. Check for AC Delco on RockAuto to get the part #, then search it on Amazon for a better price.

You can replace the tumbler easily and inexpensively if you feel it's going bad; at those miles it may be. You need to remove the column plastics to do so. Be careful around the hazard button as it's easy to damage, also easy to mess it up just by pressing it, bad design from 1995-up. Gently pry the plastic "knob" off the end of the tumbler, then go for the shroud. There are a couple torx screws sunken into the lower plastic, it then hinges away from the upper, and the upper has some external-style torx under it - you can get 'em usually with small sockets instead of getting the correct tool.

Disconnect the battery and put your key in, looking at the top of the column housing you'll see a little hole. Turn the key forward towards start until you see a metal tab appear in the hole. Insert a small pick to press this tab and then pull the tumbler out. New one slides right in.

Richard

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Is the switch itself working to turn on, the start postition just not working? You may need a new rack (i assume thats still what its called) if its just not reaching the start position on the switch. Do you have passlock?

Hightower

Reaction score
I dont feel its the key tumbler but the small turn switch on the ignition switch harness itself. I can take a screwdriver handle and tap it hard and make it work and itll stay working untill i cut the key off. It may work 5 oor 6 times or may not. Tap it again and itll work. It seems like the contacts arent making good or something. This has inly been with the BWD brand also

98_k1500

Reaction score
May just be a faulty switch. When mine went out, i got mine at NAPA. No complaints so far.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Is the switch itself working to turn on, the start postition just not working? You may need a new rack (i assume thats still what its called) if its just not reaching the start position on the switch. Do you have passlock?

No rack on 95-up, the tumbler interfaces directly with the electric portion of the switch, so there's no crazy mechanism like the old school 94-older where the tumbler runs a rod down the column to the remote-mounted switch.

And, Passlock began in 1998. So no worries there, thank goodness for OP. Passlock blows.

Richard

98_k1500

Reaction score
There is a "rack" inside there. its a plastic gearset that interfaces between the lock cylinder and the switch itself.

Hightower

Reaction score
There is a "rack" inside there. its a plastic gearset that interfaces between the lock cylinder and the switch itself.
Is that rack something that can be relplaced easy or is it a new steering column? Just seem like maybe im getting bad switches i guess cause they work fine for awhile

98_k1500

Reaction score
Napa does not show a listing for the part. My advice would be gently take the switch off and turn it with a screwdriver. If it does not work when turned fully, the actuator (rack or whatever its called) is not the problem. if you can tap on it and make it work, i would bet the switch is bad. You may wanna have it exchanged again, and dis-assemble the new switch (careful, there are alot of little parts in there) and fill it with dielectric grease.