Ignition tumbler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevyguy78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has any one ever changed there ignition tumbler? My key is getting very hard to turn. It doesnt matter if I use my old key or a newer on. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I got this information from a thread over at FSC. Info was posted by Richard (someotherguy).

Replace the ignition tumbler (mechanical part) or the electrical part? Here's the mechanical portion...

Disconnect the battery.

CAREFULLY remove the lower part of the clamshell plastics around the column. There are Torx screws recessed deep into the holes in it - lay down on the floor and look up, if I recall there are 3.

CAREFULLY pry the bezel off the ignition switch. Some of them come off easily, some fight to the end. It's got plastic tabs surrounded by a metal band that hold it to the edge of the tumbler. I like to use a door panel (soft fork style) tool for this job. You have to be gentle in order to not break the surrounding upper clamshell plastic.

Look closely at the underside right of the upper clamshell plastic; there's another Torx (again, if I recall, this one will be an external Torx) screw holding it down, may also be one on the other side. Sorry I can't be more specific but it's probably been 6 months since I've done one of these. lift the clamshell plastic off.

Now that you have the cast aluminum housing of the column exposed, look at the top of it just over where the tumbler lives. You'll see a small hole. Put the key in the ignition and turn it to the start position; you'll see a tab appear in the hole. Press it with a pick. Pull the tumbler out.

The replacement will just pop right in.

Richard

Hope that helps.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Haha that's usually the way it is with interior pieces. All the little confusing clips and plastic parts are a lot harder to figure out and a lot easier to break then nuts and bolts.

Chevyguy78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So true. I need to replace it this weekend but i wonder how i could rekey it to match my doors. The dealer wants 35. But i wonder if a locksmith would be cheaper

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
$35 doesn't sound like too bad of a price.

Darin1047

Reaction score
Have you tried getting a new key cut. I use to work in the parts department of a gm dealer in canada, if you bring in your serial number and proof of ownership the dealer can cut you a new key from the vin. It might just be that you key is too far warn down and that is why it is sticking. Does your key look like it has sharp cuts in it of rounded over. If they look rounded over than get a new key cut first. I also use to rebuild cylinders when i worked there and tumblers dont were out they usually just get sticky. it could save you some headaches before taking it apart.

To get the cylinder out you have to take off you coloum covers. The top wont come off tell the cylinder does but i belive on top of the cylinder housing there is a tap you push down than turn the cylinder and it comes out. With the top cover loose you can get small screwdriver or a pick with a 90 degree on it to get the tab.

Hope that helps you some what

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I first got my truck the ignition was so worn that a new key wouldnt work I looked into changing it out myself but had a lock smith change it out for me

Chevyguy78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its easy to do now that ive done it but now I figgured out it wasnt the tumbler, my tumbler houseing is what was bad. Its $91 @ the dealer. But its a pita to change when its broke. Ill go in to mkre detail after I get it all finished.