Ignition coil Question/Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nate

Reaction score
Need a hand. I'm new to the 5.7tbi (it's on my '94 GMC Sierra SLE - XCSB) and have had this truck for about 2mos now. I got some things to tune it up from summit. All was going well until I went to replace the coil. My coil is sandwiched between two brackets that are connect with a pin/post that goes through the holes on the bottom corners of the coil. That pin looks to be stamped into the one bracket and it is welded onto the other side. My problem is that both summit and the manufacturer are telling me I'm suppose to use the bracket and hardware I have! So I'm wondering, have any of you ever came across this? This is the part that I ordered:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HYP-4054/?rtype=10

Problem is I already had the cap and rotor installed from the kit before knowing that I'd run into this problem and I'd rather not have to take them off to return the kit.

Thanks for any help.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are rivets. Just grind/cut the end off one side and you should be able to seperate everything. Then take a trip to your local hardware store for some replacement screws. I used 2 6/32 screws that are 1 1/4" long. I put a washer on each side and used a locking nut so I didnt have to worry about them coming loose....

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah like above they are rivet's, grind the head's off, remove the bracket's and reinstall them on the new coil with new hardware provided.

nate

Reaction score
Rivets...odd...well it seems odd to me but the one side IS welded not just a riveted...I'm hoping I can make the bracket work once I get the pin/rivet out. Maybe they started as rivets, but it's welded on the one side of the rivet. No hardware came with the coil, just coil, cap and rotor.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya they look weird, but should come right out. My coil didnt come with any replacement hardware, which is why I had to take a trip to the store mid project. Drives me nuts....

nate

Reaction score
Yea...you pay a decent amount of $ for a decent coil (supposedly) and you'd think they'd take care of you as far as getting it installed.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya I know, but put a 2 in front of that and thats what my kit cost. I did get plug wires and a new module in it also, the vortec stuff is more expensive anyways....